MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Stock rods + forged piston 400 to 450awhp

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  lindsley 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I want to make some changes on my engine to get a little bit more safety and reliability on my power goals, the engine is gen5 3sgte still unopened running perfectly but I want more power without going crazy financially.

I already added gen3 oil cooler, soon big turbo gt3071r or Gt3076r + W injection.

I have read many discussions on this forum about gen2 vs gen 3 rods etc.

My question between gen2 and gen3 rods, which version you suggest and why and any suggestion on cheap standard size forged pistons?

I'm only aiming for 400 to 450awhp.
I really want to go crazy on the streeta without thinking about rods etc, just having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I don’t think ‘cheap standard size forged pistons’ are an upgrade over stock. 400whp is safely achievable on a Gen 3 with stock internals as long as you have supporting mods including high octane fuel or WI and an EMS tuned for protection. Best to have a wideband installed and tied to EMS for tuning & safety.

jimb

#4 ·
I'm going GEN3 rods and stock GEN4 pistons machined to to suit the wider rod. Or if I find extra funds I'll get forged pistons. However I'm not going for more than 300whp ever. I'll be running stock for the foreseeable future which is far less than that number.

Even stock GEN4 engines can bend rods if something goes wrong or you get a bad batch of fuel. Even running 98 RON.

If you are wanting to run stock rods form a GEN3 or a GEN2, the GEN2 are far more chunky but might make the engine response a bit less than the stock GEN4/5 rods. GEN3 rods are less chunky but can still handle your goals. It is cheaper to buy a forged rod set than new stock rods. Trust me, I've looked.

If it was me and I had the budget for doing a turbo like that I'd extend it to a fully forged piston and rod set. Unless you can get stock GEN2 rods then a set of decent forged pistons is a good safety net. You don't want to break ring lands.

#13 ·
That's a big price difference, sometimes we get spoiled on aftermarket parts here in the US. A set of Eagles is low-mid $300's street price (USD).

I totally agree with not tossing together known weak parts when in there. But when building for more power, it's usually better to not chance it. I know the two engines I've built, I mostly had issues with used parts not being in as "good condition" as they were purported to be. Sometimes it just took time to fix them up, other times it was better to just get another one and roll the dice or think about some bling aftermarket alternative.

#14 ·
I agree with you...the gen 2,3 OEM are good parts 400whp when they are in good shape, the problem is to find them well taken care of, to make things easier and safer I think maxpeedingrods can do the trick. My pocket will suffer on the pistons, they are not cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.