MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get coilovers for my 91 turbo. I can't seem to find any that can be run at stock ride height? Seems most start at 1" or more lowering.

Reasons I want to keep it stock ride height..

Praticality. Good ride, good clearance, easy to get on the lift or jacks. Easier to get in and out. (I'm old(ish))

Wheel/Tire clearance. Also planning on getting some wheels and tires and want all the clearance I can get. Tire size up front will hit stock spring perch, that's why I want coilovers.

Suspension geometry. Not looking to alter the stock geometry/handling.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
IMO, you'll be compromising ride, handling and spending a lot going to coil-overs just to fit front tires. Other than Ohlins and Koni equipped kits, most shocks in coil-overs don't last past a few years and have below average compliance.

Have you thought of gently pushing away the protrusion on the front spring perch to clear your tires? You can use a hydraulic press and a little care. Even a visit from Mr. Sledge has helped some. It's usually only a few mills needed to clear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO, you'll be compromising ride, handling and spending a lot going to coil-overs just to fit front tires. Other than Ohlins and Koni equipped kits, most shocks in coil-overs don't last past a few years and have below average compliance.

Have you thought of gently pushing away the protrusion on the front spring perch to clear your tires? You can use a hydraulic press and a little care. Even a visit from Mr. Sledge has helped some. It's usually only a few mills needed to clear.
Thanks for the response. I have thought of that but prefer not to. I need new suspension regardless, still the originals on it. I'm set on running a 215/45r17 up front and I want the option in the future to lower it some if I decide to, so coilovers would be ideal. My turbo is not a daily so I can't imagine them wearing out quickly.

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
I think a 215/45-17 should be doable up front on stock struts. A 235/40 fits, which is .2" smaller in diameter, but quite a bit wider. The worst clearance is right at the corner where the strut meets the spring perch, so the extra diameter a little further out might clear. Like RePete said, if you need to flex that perch up an 1/8 of an inch to clear, that's possible. Or run lower offset wheels / spacers to push the whole wheel and tire out just a little bit until it clears (the perch does slope upward if I remember right).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wheels I have are 17x8 +40mm up front. I know I could run a 5mm spacer and longer studs as well, but I don't want to do that either.

So I'm taking that as a no as far as anyone offering a coilover that can run at stock height. I guess I could probably swap to taller springs, I have sets of QA1 springs in 10, 12 and 14in length for my Fiero coilovers I made. I emailed a few companies also to see if they could make a set in Stock height.

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
The wheels I have are 17x8 +40mm up front. I know I could run a 5mm spacer and longer studs as well, but I don't want to do that either.

So I'm taking that as a no as far as anyone offering a coilover that can run at stock height. I guess I could probably swap to taller springs, I have sets of QA1 springs in 10, 12 and 14in length for my Fiero coilovers I made. I emailed a few companies also to see if they could make a set in Stock height.

You will likely have to run a 10mm spacer, maybe more, to make those wheels fit with most coilovers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will likely have to run a 10mm spacer, maybe more, to make those wheels fit with most coilovers.
Sarah N Tuned is running same wheels (Enkei Ts5) with 5mm spacer without issue, they fit without the spacer also but she wanted them flush so added the spacer and studs.

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
Sarah N Tuned is running same wheels (Enkei Ts5) with 5mm spacer without issue, they fit without the spacer also but she wanted them flush so added the spacer and studs.

With coilovers? Or with stock struts? It makes a big difference.

As you are aware the stock spring perch limits tire diameter because it sticks out over the tire. But on coilovers the spring is usually longer and extends down next to the tire, making the strut assembly something like 3.5" in diameter, rather than the 2" diameter of the stock strut tube.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I know a 215/45-17 will fit w/ coils, but it can also fit on stock suspension too - depending on the tire brand, many do it. Not all 215/45 tires are created equal.

In fact, here's a pic of Hankook 225/45-17s on stock suspension. There's barely any clearance, but it doesn't matter, it still clears. If you can't see the embedded pic, there's a link below. Last I checked, there were almost a hundred tire models in this size from racing to snow tires.

Given that, I also know that most owners who post about future coil-over purchases have already made up their mind and are hell bent on getting them.

http://www3.telus.net/ssweb/SW20-225-45-17.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm open to suggestions, just figured coilovers would give the most clearance, because I am dead set on the wheels and tires I want to run. Price wise once you throw in new top mounts, konis and eibachs cost just as much as coilovers but no height or camber adjustment.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Why not get some 93+ OEM springs and some Konis?

You can run Tein Street Basis at roughly factory 93+ ride height, and they're very comfortable as far as coilovers go with the height run pretty high. But they don't give camber adjustment out of the box. You can always do that down at the strut to spindle mounting bolts. I'd recommend Alex W's front camber/caster plates up front to get some much needed caster in the suspension which just makes it feel better and have a stronger return feeling.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Adding to that thought, I have 225/45-17 up front on Tein Street Basis with Alex W's front camber/caster plates and adjusting the top of the wheel out to get like -3 deg of camber. That's a little much for a mostly street driven setup, so you might struggle to get things down to ~ -1 deg, but an eccentric camber bolt down there at the top bolt hole with maybe a 1/2" bolt on the bottom of the strut can probably do it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I run 215/45 17's on my own car; to get the clearance at the perch, we cut the center mount point off the strut housing and bent it up 1/4" and re-welded it. You can do this without moving the perch itslef. I've been running the car with this change for going on 20 years. Obviously, you would need to be using inserts since you don't want to weld with a strut in place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I should of payed more attention to pictures on 215/40r17s on mr2s. They look wayyyy to small at 1" lowering up front. Doesn't fill the wheel well like the rear and is too much stretch on the 8" wheel. Going to have to see if I can swap them out for some 225/40 or 235/40 and bust out the hammer and fender roller. Although, after taking measurements of the 215/40 installed, I shouldn't have to.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
That doesn't look as bad as you think it does. Eventually, many MR2 owners end up contracting FPS (fitment perfection syndrome).

A 235/40-17 should fit up front with a little luck on stock springs, mine just bolted on using +32 on 8". On coils expect some work. Good luck finding a 225/40-17 in a decent compound.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yea I'd say I'm fairly particular on how I like a wheel/tire/ride height combo to look. My Fiero is setup exactly how I like. Also on staggered Enkei wheels with 225/235 Falken fk510 tires. The same tire I originally wanted to run on the mr2 in 215/45r17.

Not crazy low or poking out, just a nice even look and big enough tire to fill the well, not overly stretched across the wheel. I like the tire being even or just barely past whe wheel lip.

Maybe the front suspension will settle some? I should mention I installed Koni inserts and eibach springs. After reading and seeing people comments here , I realized I had misunderstood that coilovers would of allowed me to run the wheel/offset/tire combo I was set on. Then decided to avoid the fit issue and get the 215/40r17s, but didn't anticipate the gap it leaves.

On the black mr2 I'm running Yokohama advan fleva v701 tires, and they make it in a 235/40r17, and also a 215/45r17.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I owned a GT Fiero myself for a few years, loved it.

Will the Eibachs settle? Sure, in about 20 years, that's about how long it takes the stock springs to settle to about Pro-Kit height.

If you want looks (but crappy shocks), there's no beating coilovers. In the meantime, you can always use a hydraulic press on the spring perch nub to push it away enough to mount 215/45-17 - or use spacers. As the pic above shows, 225/45-17 can work too. I've also seen owners mount Koni equipped coilovers just up front w/ stock springs out back to get the taller front tire - then tune the suspension accordingly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funny you mention old stock springs, my white n/a has 200k miles, original suspension, and measures within 1/4 inch of the one I just lowered, floor to fender (25.5-25.25"s)

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Yup, I mentioned it because I've seen grown men lash out at the world when they realize that the cost on new lowering springs plus the effort to install them is pretty much wasted when they realize the ride height had barely changed from their old settled springs. But owners love to buy new stuff for their rides.

Additionally, they've gone from linear springs to (IMO) an inferior progressive spring design. Keeping those decades old springs is a good way to keep the car semi-lowered. If one really wants to lower and avoid coil-overs, then H&R springs are a better choice. Even cutting half a coil off the stock springs works too, I've done that before & it works well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yup, I mentioned it because I've seen grown men lash out at the world when they realize that the cost on new lowering springs plus the effort to install them is pretty much wasted when they realize the ride height had barely changed from their old settled springs. But owners love to buy new stuff for their rides.

Additionally, they've gone from linear springs to (IMO) an inferior progressive spring design. Keeping those decades old springs is a good way to keep the car semi-lowered. If one really wants to lower and avoid coil-overs, then H&R springs are a better choice. Even cutting half a coil off the stock springs works too, I've done that before & it works well.
Good to know, I appreciate all the info! So far I like the ride quality, and honestly the ride height since it ended up being close to stock (or what I thought was stock) , which I originally wanted. Now to get a larger tire up front and I'll be perfectly happy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts