MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guy on EBAY is selling a modded stock intercooler that bascially has smaller inlet's and outlet's. They look roughly a 1/2-3/4 inch for water so it could be used as a HE. Any opinions on this. Would a stock IC make a decent HE. Thought I would bring it to the board for discussion.

·
Registered
740 Posts
i would not use it as the only HE in the system. I would still use another proper heat exchanger in the system. The stock IC was not good enough to remove heat from the air, so it is definately not going to be good ebnough to remove heat from water, since it takes alot more to remove heat from water.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
i did it. i just took the stock IC and welded nipples on it, then i put a 7.5" pusher and puller on it and it ran like a charm. you could feel the incoming water side and it would be really warm, then you could feel the out going side and it would be much cooler. so if you are planning on running less than 300 rwhp, it will be fine. BTW i have mine for sale if you are interested, I went with a different set-up.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr. Pepper said:
i would not use it as the only HE in the system. I would still use another proper heat exchanger in the system. The stock IC was not good enough to remove heat from the air, so it is definately not going to be good ebnough to remove heat from water, since it takes alot more to remove heat from water.
Does it take more to remove heat from water. I thought this was the other way around.

·
Registered
740 Posts
NooKa said:
Does it take more to remove heat from water. I thought this was the other way around.
water has a higher heat carrying capacity than air. Liquid is more dense. It will take alot of air to remove the heat from water.
Water is excellent for removing heat from air though, which is why W2A intercoolers work soooo well.

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,802 Posts
at the moment i am useing a a/c condensor for my heat exchanger, not the best thing but it's working ok for now.
i scored a aluminium radiator off another car, i have been told that aluminium radiators are the best heat exchange material for cooling water/coolant?. i plan to cut the aluminium core to the size i want and build some end tanks for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dr. Pepper said:
water has a higher heat carrying capacity than air. Liquid is more dense. It will take alot of air to remove the heat from water.
Water is excellent for removing heat from air though, which is why W2A intercoolers work soooo well.
I don't think this is correct.
If it an interface of air=>metal=>water is a good thermal conductor (which it is), then surely an interface of water=>metal=>air is as well?

-Adrian

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
dr pepper is correct. for an experiment take a pot of hot water and put a metal spoon in it until they reach thermal equilibruim. the turn off the heat and pull the spoon out and place it on the counter. now measure wich one cools faster? the spoon of course because the water will reatin the heat longer. so an A/W is much more effective for absorbing heat but once heat soaked will also take FAR longer to cool back down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts