MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Stock by pass valve/blow off vale set up, pic request

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  xxxboosted2xxx 
#1 ·
Im in talks with a member about buying an intake, we were talking, I said my current intake (gen3) has three ports. One is from the BOV (one is from the little catch can above valve cover, I forget the third right now).
He said that his, also a gen3, was not like that.

My swap was done by someone that has done some questionable things...Ive got evidence of said questionable things on my car from swap. So Im interested in seeing a pic of the BOV setup of a stock unit, please.

I appreciate any assistance yall, happy motoring!

#4 ·
The small hose from BOV goes to the TB vacuum line which is correct. What is different is the aftermarket valve in parallel with BOV which should be the stock VTV. This could easily cause an issue as many don’t understand what this little valve does.
Id simply pinch off the vacuum line and try running with BOV incompacitated. Many of us remove and blank off BOV completely without any issues.

#7 ·
Depends on the version of engine. GEN2 doesn't like it much. GEN3-5 doesn't care.
I read somewhere that at idle the stock valve opens up letting air bypass the turbo. How true that is, I cannot confirm.

Based on the situations of when venting occurs on the GEN2, you might lose metered air but you have the throttle plate closed so the fueling might be more rich and not actually affect the safety of the engine but speaking with people who have vented the GEN2, the engine didn't run too well during shifts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.