MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 MR2 with 63,000 miles shows failure of the Hydraulic Power Unit and the Gear Shift Actuator. Given the problems when SMT starts breaking down, I am afraid replacing those will just lead to more, and am thinking about converting to MT. There's a kit that looks complete at Monkey Wrench Racing, and I would need a mechanic. Probably somebody that does racing mods on engines and transmissions. Does anyone have experience with this transition? Anyone know a shop in Arizona that can do this kind of work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO FAR, SO GOOD. We bought the car used, and ran it about 1000 miles before the SMT Warning light came on. Cost of replacing the two failed components was high, even with used parts, and the contraption has so many other components that could go bad in time. We're not gearheads, and just wanted to drive the car because they are fun.

We took the problem to Andy at Haskell Auto (Thank you to those in this forum who had him work on their MR-2s and recommended him), who checked the Monkey Wrench Racing kit and said he would try. Though he had not done this conversion, he said it was common for those adapting the car for racing at one time.

So now we have a 6-speed manual transmission that runs smoothly. Wasn't cheap, and it's a little sad looking at the blank SMT gear indicator in the instrument panel, but it is still a sweet ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts