MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you guys are sick of me by now but I have some more questions. I looked on the BGB and completed some of the tests in the "check for spark" section. I found that one of the problems was my ignition coil. i replaced it for a good one. I checked for spark but got nothing. Still won't start. I think that was the only problem though. Here are my questions:

1. Could the car not start if the engine is flooded? I know I'm getting fuel because I can smell it and from trying to start it so many times, I think it's flooded.

2. What if I were to push start the car? Would that help my situation at all?

3. Do I have to find the spark problem still, first before I try #2?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
SwpdMR2 said:
I checked for spark but got nothing. Still won't start.

3. Do I have to find the spark problem still, first before I try #2?

?????

If you don't have spark, it isn't going to start, no matter what.

bill

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
SwpdMR2 said:
2. What if I were to push start the car? Would that help my situation at all?
If your starters works, push starting won't do anything.

Whenever I've tried to start a car that I suspect has flooded, I floor the accelerator, which should cut-off the fuel as you start. HTH

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out of curiosity, how does flooring the accelerator stop the car from getting fuel as I'm starting?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I guess the ecu detects that the throttle is wide open and cuts fuel. I've done it numerous time on other cars. One instance would be, when this one old lady was trying to start her 2003 Cadillac in the winter but had a faulty battery. She kept giving it gas while cranking. My coworker and I came to the rescue w/ a jumper pack, but had not luck. We assumed it was flooded. Floored it. Vroom. No tip. Blah.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
the reason it starts so easy when you floor it is because you are introducing a huge amount of air into the engine, making the rich (flooded) condition more normal.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that attached to the ignitier coil? I am going to try to use the old igniter with the new igniter coil I got to see if the old igniter is still good. The igniter that came with the new ignition coil I got has a slightly different connection than the one I have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts