MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
STARTED!

i have a 88 mr2 na, i changed the dizzy, igniter, coil. wires, plugs, rotor, and cap. getting spark, cams are turning, hear feul pump whizzing and can smell feul when i pump the gas, and feel air through the plug holes. but it is still not starting. i didnt have spark before and it would just crank but wont turn over. after i replaced everything, it cranks sound like its about to turn but doesnt, i pump the gas and it seems more like it about to turn but doesnt. i can stop cranking and still pump and it will still try to start. i put it in to first gear while pumping and let go of the clutch and it jumps, stall or sometimes chrip the tires. everytime i try to start i have to have the mr2 on jumper cables. could it be something as simple as the battery? or if the timing is off a little will it prevent me from starting? or could it be that im getting fuel but not enough? i need help, please. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
can you take picture's of the coil wires coil and igniter and the dizzy to spark plug wires and post them.

I can then try to trace your wiring. And see if you have the fire order right

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hmmmm? Sounds like me last week. Three words... CHECK YOUR FUSES! I tore apart my entire ignition system only to discover my EFI fuse was blown. I could smell fuel but the injectors weren't working. So I worked about 5 hours to discover a fix that took less than a minute. Oh well, at least now I know how the ignition system works. :)

BTW - On Saturday I also discovered why the fuse had blown. The o2 sensor wire (4 wire) got caught on the rt. CV axle somehow and carnage ensued. Lucky it didn't happen far from home.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
and to top it off..... even though that fuse was blown, there was an ever so faint spark on his plugs (when we checked) so it almost seemed ok.......

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My efi fuse used to keep blowing.. turned out my sc12 magnetic clutch was the culprit.. since you're na, then hopefully you'll luck out like MR2 VRI

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
misterjots said:
i have a 88 mr2 na, i changed the dizzy, igniter, coil. wires, plugs, rotor, and cap.
I'm sure you did but just in case, did you re-set the timing to tdc after replacing the distributor? If the timing is off that could be the problem now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am having the same kind of problem except it only does it sometimes. The engine and starter turn but it just doesnt kick over and fire. It doesnt make sense because it cranks and won't not start, but then I tried push starting it and it started! Just replaced cap, plugs, rotor, wires with all factory toyota parts and it still does the same thing occasionally.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mkimr2 said:
can you take picture's of the coil wires coil and igniter and the dizzy to spark plug wires and post them.

I can then try to trace your wiring. And see if you have the fire order right
i belive i have the right firing order if it is not 1342

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MR2 VRI said:
Hmmmm? Sounds like me last week. Three words... CHECK YOUR FUSES! I tore apart my entire ignition system only to discover my EFI fuse was blown. I could smell fuel but the injectors weren't working. So I worked about 5 hours to discover a fix that took less than a minute. Oh well, at least now I know how the ignition system works. :)

BTW - On Saturday I also discovered why the fuse had blown. The o2 sensor wire (4 wire) got caught on the rt. CV axle somehow and carnage ensued. Lucky it didn't happen far from home.
fuse all look good to me no burns, crystal clear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cmart357 said:
I am having the same kind of problem except it only does it sometimes. The engine and starter turn but it just doesnt kick over and fire. It doesnt make sense because it cranks and won't not start, but then I tried push starting it and it started! Just replaced cap, plugs, rotor, wires with all factory toyota parts and it still does the same thing occasionally.
i have no friends. :dontknow: but it really seems like i could push start it. i just cant do it myself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Papo J said:
I'm sure you did but just in case, did you re-set the timing to tdc after replacing the distributor? If the timing is off that could be the problem now.
i think i did but im not on the dot. it tried to get it as close as i cloud to the 1 position. i need a picture to see where the cam dimple should be, and what should i use to turn it manually, i was able to get it where i can see the whole dimple on the cam. but i dont know how to turn it with my hands.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
Use a ratchet or breaker bar with a socket on the crankshaft pully nut and rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the engine is at top dead center:
http://www.pbase.com/aw11mr2/image/38687726

You should be able to see the dimple looking down into the valve cover cap
http://www.pbase.com/aw11mr2/image/38434257
Dimple on the intake camshaft
http://www.pbase.com/aw11mr2/image/38434227

If you don?t see the dimple, rotate the engine another 180 degrees and check again.

The orientation of the distributor rotor should look like this:
http://www.pbase.com/aw11mr2/image/38687051
with the rotor pointing to the number one piston/sparkplug wire.

Check your spark plugs and make sure they are not fouled with carbon.

·
Registered
372 Posts
[/QUOTE]everytime i try to start i have to have the mr2 on jumper cables. could it be something as simple as the battery? or if the timing is off a little will it prevent me from starting? or could it be that im getting fuel but not enough? i need help, please. thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Does it start everytime you have jumper cables? I had problems before because of corroded battery contacts, if there isn't enough juice in the battery it will not start.

I've also had a problem with the fuel pump, just keeps cranking but it won't turn over. Check your fuel pressure, and see if fuel is coming into the fuel filter. If you had removed your distributor and if your off by a tooth when putting it back in it will most likely not start.

I've had this problem and it's simple to fix. Undo your passenger wheel and turn the crankshaft bolt until the 3rd timing mark(I beleive it's a small grove before the 2 marks) on your pulley is where the needle is pointing. Undo the distributor and align the 2 dimples on the distributor(not the 2 holes), place the distributor back in carefully and it should start if that is the problem. After getting the car started use a timing light and adjust the distributor(by rotating it not pulling it out again) to get it at 10 Degree's TDC(which should be between the 2nd mark on the crankshaft).

Ron

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
wow, those pictures just made a whole bunch of sense! yeah my timing is is off by a little. the pully nut is the one in the middle of the bottom pulley right? and how do i see the intake dimple? no carbon, thanks Ron will try tonight after i figure out which one is the pullynut. Yai the car doesnt start at all, im guessing that i have enough feul pressure because the car trys harder when i floor the gas pedal.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
The Toyota Repair Manual says to pinch the fuel line between the fuel filter and the injector to determine if there is pressure in the line. I don't recommend that you undo the fittings as you will probably cause a fuel leak and require new copper crush washers. Do you smell gas when you remove a spark plug? With all the cranking of the engine you should be able to smell gas with the injectors and cold start injector squirting gas.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I would check all your fuses. I found out my fuses and my batt did not have enough CCA amps to turn over the engine due to mostly the main reason the alt belt was too tight. But simple terms i just got a bigger batt and that solved the prob and i would rather have a huge batt just incase it can never hurt. Also check your wiring from the starter to your fuse box incase it got pinched or cut somehow you need to get a BGB from the year of your car that would be the best thing to trace it i Got one and i also got the wiring diagram book too for my year and also a haynes so i can reference it all

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i smell gas. all fuses are fine. i can see them working when i unplug and plug back in. what is a BGB though?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Big Green Book i got mine from toyota for fairly cheap not to sure else where you can get them. Have you checked your injectors b/c they could not be putting out the right amount of fuel b/c that would kinda make sense b/c you smell fuel but when you pump the gas it gets closer to starting( Just a shot). Or you might want to take your starter off and go get it tested i had a starter on my 85 that would crank but not turn over and i found it was my starter.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
The BGB = Big Green Book, an informal description we use for the Toyota Repair Manual.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts