So im new to the site but anyway i drive an 88 mr2 sc
An i love it but i have it away for winter so i got the good old to do list
And i really would like to know of a good easy steering wheel swap
Because i personally think the stock steering wheel is kinda big and clunky
So any make and model steering wheel would help alot

·
Registered
462 Posts
I threw a Grant wheel (actually this one: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=469392) on one of my SCs. Liked it because it was thicker than stock and had a good feel to it, especially at the 10 and 2 positions.

Other than the adapter kit, the only other thing that was needed for it to work were some spacers so you had clearance for your fingers and the cruise/turn signals.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
I can get Momo, NRG, Sparco and a bunch of others.
Momo is the one name brand adapter I have found specifically for the AW11 so that is the one I would recommend. From the research I did I believe other adapters such as AE86 should work but I believe they are also shorter. If anything the AW11 benefits from moving the wheel back a bit especially if you are taller. This helps you recline a little more while maintaining proper reach on the wheel.
If you are tall or if you would like a little more recline I recommend an adapter and then either a quick release hub or spacer. Between the two I moved my wheel back about an inch but I can still reach the turn signals easily with the finger tips. For a track car I'd probably go back another inch or two.
I don't have any steering wheel stuff on my website but if anyone wants to price anything out shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All this info is helpful
I really wanted to do a quick release but i just dont know what would fit my car or the components needed for a quick release
Iv never done one before

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
As a tall (6'4") driver, I find the dish spacing of stock wheel to be fine. I find the bigger problem is thigh clearance between the wheel and center tunnel. A spacer or deeper dish wheel helps, but it doesn't take much before I feel a bit cramped in reach. Going with a smaller radius wheel helps thigh clearance, but makes parking maneuvers a bit stiff if you have wider than stock tires.

Another consideration that I take seriously is safety. These cars don't have airbags. Racing wheels don't have the same cushion and crumpling characteristics. One thing I like about Momo adapters is you can see they will bend under heavy impact. OEM is safest. Pick a wheel you don't mind smashing your face into at 60 MPH.

I love the stock leather 87-89 wheels until the leather starts tearing and separating. I currently have a Momo Mystique installed, but I will probably put a stock wheel back on.

Momo

Stock blue leather:

I also like the JDM (actually available in most markets besides North America) leather "twin cam" wheel found in the AW11, AE86, and AE82. I have one in my FX16:

My little Toyota steering wheel collection. The 85-86 AW11 leather is a bit bigger radius than the 87+, which is pictured here with the "MR2" horn button swapped for a "Toyota" button. I LOVE the minimal JDM style leather wheel. The grip is harder and narrower, more sporty and not as luxurious as the North american leather wheels.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
How is the condition of that leather wheel? Would you be interested in selling it?
Probably not. Which of the 5 leather wheels are you talking about?

The non-USDM "twin cam" wheel took about 3 years of scouring various Toyota forums to finally find and purchase from a seller in New Zealand for a reasonable price. Not for sale.

The blue MR2 leather wheel, is original to my car and not for sale.

The others I could be talked out of but honestly you'd get a better price elsewhere. I like having options. They were not that hard to come by on MR2OC.com, in junk yards, and on ebay.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have a leather USDM wheel I picked up half price at a junk yard. However, the leather is in bad shape. I've been considering having it rewrapped. The safety aspect is a good call. However, how is the thigh clearance? My vinyl wheel is already giving me trouble on track even adjusted fully upward.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My 87na came with a sparco. I didn't like it for three reasons, the diameter was to small and obscured some of the gauges, the adapter made it to close to the cruise control stalk, and it was bright blue, my car is white with black interior.
The stock wheel came with the car but the leather was trashed so I just pealed it off and the vinyl under the leather was like new so that is how I'm running it and I like it ok.

I put the sparco up for sale for $80 and it was snapped up within seconds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
85-86 steering wheel

In the photo above with three steering wheels in the photo, I am referring to the steering wheel on the far left.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I run a sparco adapter with a 50mm extension. Came out slightly further out than the stock wheel placement, distance to stalks is still good. I want to say it's a 350mm wheel and gauges are still visible, and no problem turning tight radius stuff. Glad I made the swap. One goofy thing I did find, the horn button doesn't work anymore with the Sparco spacer. What a complete design failure.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
What Sparco adapter? They don't list one for the MK1 so I have been recommending people run the Momo which does.

I'm curious why the spacer doesn't allow the horn to work. I can only think of one thing and that would be that it isn't condictive to carry the ground from the chassis to the wheel. I'd think you could fix that by grinding a spot down to metal or running a jumper wire from one side to the other.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
My car came with a Grant wheel, and it was really flimsy compared to the Momo I ended up with. I ended up actually throwing away the nearly new Grant wheel, as i felt bad selling it to someone else! Really poorly made steering wheels that don't belong in a nice car like an MR2 IMO..

·
Registered
851 Posts
I also throw away a Grant wheel. Flexible, and not very round, plus it came with an adopter that is too close to turn signal stalk. I love the thick 85 stock leather wheel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts