MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it needs replacement. I think the shaft inside is messed up. When i turn while moving and let go of the wheel, it doesn't straighten out after. It stays turned until i turn it back. I already replaced inner/outer tie rods/white bushing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U sure? I have the wheels off the ground and when i turn the steering, it has like hard and soft spots. After each rotation of the wheel, it feels like its going over a bump and really stiff to turn, and then it gets smooth again.

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
If it gets stiff once a turn, that does sound like a broken tooth. It could also be one of the U-joints in the steering column. I would think that I could tell the difference between these by the feel. I do think that the U-joints are more likely. I have never heard of a pinion breaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i were to replace the whole rack, do you have any idea where i could get a new one??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not really, but you do want the rack to be pretty much centered and the steering wheel to be centered when you connect them, just to make sure you don't run out of adjustment on the tie rod ends when you go to align it.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
It just may be that the guts of the rack are trashed. I had an extra one at 1 point and took it apart just to see. I had actually planned on getting the quick ration gear set at the time. The rack gear was thrashed. Lots of rust and pitting. The unit sat in the garage for several years and I wonder is water had gotten in it at some point in it's life.

Make sure the u-joint is healthy and not binding.

Pull the rubber boots off and turn the rack all the way left or right and inspect the gear. If it is indeed thrashed rebuild with Quaife quick ration gear set like mentioned above or replace the unit. The Autozone should be fine. Not many places to get steering racks anymore and I think they are probably all reman units.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts