MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a low mileage steering rack from an AW11 (with say 75000 miles on it), have significantly less play, and be tighter, than my current rack with 235000 miles on it?

I have replaced all the bushings, suspension pieces, and joints (tie rods (both inner and outer), ball joints) in my car, and am wondering if a lower mileage steering rack will give me better control and connection to the car.

Do these manual racks wear over time?

Thanks.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
I think the BGB discusses adjustments to the steering rack with shims but it looks like you need a SST to open up the steering rack.
Have you looked for play in the joint between the steering rack and the steering column? There is also some flexible material between two parts of the steering column shaft that can wear out. Someone posted a picture of it awhile ago.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It's only logical that a lower mileage car would have better condition parts, unless they just beat the crap out of the car (the owner). Joints people are talking about are rag joints and universal joints.

What about contacting a company like flaming river or Borgeson? They make all kinds of steering u-joints and rag joint replacements, and if you get enough people, they may make one for the MR2. If you dom count me in. I would myself, but I'm not that far in the car yet. (and I don't know if I need steering rack work unbtil I replace ball joints and Tie rods)

Someone should have more info here...steering is a big issue

Mrcat88

·
Registered
166 Posts
EnvyMyDrifts said:
Any other insight on this issue?
I would think that as long as the rack has not been abused in any way it should be fine pretty much regardless of mileage. The rack is greased and sealed so unless the seals go bad the rack is pretty well protected from wear.

My 1973 MGB came to me with it's steering rack boots cracked and after I replaced them and refilled the rack with oil it really is as good as new (I have compared it to a new rack on another MGB). My MG has well over 100,000mi on it and is 33yrs old. So, I would expect you won't really gain anything by changing it.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts