MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. i have a early '92 Model NA Auto. My problem is whenever i go to start my car in the morning, it will turn over then die right away if i do not give it gas for a couple seconds. Then it will idle around 1K and when it warms up it will idle at about 1.5K.

I have changed my Cap/Rotor/ Wires/Plugs and have done a radiator flush making sure no air is in the system... All of this and no help with my starting trouble or High idle... I tried getting codes, its my first time so i think i am doing it right, and all it came out with was a code 71 which is probably due to my header as i have researched.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
Check your IAC it might e stuck closed.. Its the lil tan device under your throttle body. It has two screws holding it on. You can unscrew it then inspect it. Twist it back and forth a few times and see if it?s hard to twist. You may want to spray with WD 40 to free it up. Then put the tan magnet back on with the two screws.

NOTE: you will have to mark the actually position of the tan box with the two screws. This way you know exactly where to put it back.

I had a problem like this and after the car warmed up it would idle high.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. Do you have any pictures that can help me by showing where it is exactly located? My engine is completely dirty so a little tan box will be very hard to find lol.. Thanks again..

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
X2 about the Idle Air Control valve. if you look in the EFI section of the BGB, you can find a picture of it and a description of how to clean it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How was the way of testing this without removing it? Covering the little hole in the intake mani? If i cover it up what is the way of knowing that it is working properly or is bad? I know the idle will drop, but i dont know if that means it is working or it is broken.. thanx..

*edit* Is there also a way of cleaning the ISCV without removing the TB?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts