MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this is an on going issue, let me give a little background first....

My transmission on my 86 was slipping really bad, so i took the 2 to a transmission shop, in hopes that i would get my vehicle back in a few days. Well, 1 month and 1400$ later, my 2 is still in the shop. they rebuilt the tranny and got the hardware new, but turns out the temperature sensor was bad, so they replaced it last week. that was supposed to be the last part to be fixed, but when they installed everything and tested the car out, they found out the car would not downshift correctly. O.K.... another part, and more days in the shop....

Today the car was supposed to be ready, they had ordered another sensor(not sure which) and were waiting to put it on. turns out that didnt work either and now the car is "Stack Shifting" (the tranny shifts too quick.)

I told them to check the ECU and see if its sending out crazy code, since noone can think of what to do next. I even gave them my haynes manual to see if that would help them, but the mechanic didnt really find anything.

so now we are at a loss, they dont know what to do, and i dont know what to do. what am i supposed to do when a professional shop cant figure it out??? what the hell is so different about my car, why cant anybody fix this ____?

Please help. I really want my car back. i wont have a choice but to junk it if this becomes futile.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Yikes, that's terrible that you spent so much money! You could buy a perfectly functioning transmission for $150 at most. Please don't let them actually charge you $1400. Their incompetence shouldn't cost you money. Where are you located?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, the car is an Auto and I am in Dallas.
Basically what i was charged for was the parts that they had to order from toyota japan. of course labor was included, and im of the opinion that im going to have them refund me all the labor costs if they cant figure it out.

the 1400 doesnt include the new speedocable and the 2 sensors they ordered. (about 300$ or so.) Im not paying for any of that, they already told me, mostly because they have had my car for so long.

casualsax3, i had thought about that earlier, maybe they didnt notice the ECT button, and I always leave in in PWR mode. But, even in PWR mode ive never had it shift 'too fast'. I will tell them about it tomorrow though, just in case... (i hope its just ECT ignorance..... I want my 2 back....)

thanks for the replies. ever heard of this problem before?

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Sounds like you need a new transmission shop.
I know next to nothing about the inner workings of an auto tranny, but the Factory Service Manual has very detailed checkout and repair procedures.
Perhaps your trans shop should purchase one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:
just got back from the transmission shop, and low and behold, it was the damn ECU. they are shipping one from chicago and i 'should' have my car back in 3 days. $100.

zippityfreakindooda. (kill me.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts