MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was loking through the 05 rule book but I couldn't find any information solely on ST2. Are there any differences between it and STS? Also, is the mr2 eligible in it? I've heard of a few folks running in it, but I'm just double checking. Thanks ya'll!

--E

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
STS2 and STU are not nationally recognized classes yet. They are on a trial basis at the national tour stops. Essentially the rules are the same as STS. And the MR2 is eligible, but there's always the Nemesis: Miatas.

·
Registered
324 Posts
First you need to figure out whether you're talking about STS2 (the provisional national class) or ST2 (the class developed on a Yahoo group by SCCA members and adopted by a few local clubs).

You're in Vallejo, so you can run San Francisco Region events. SFR offers ST2 for local events. STS2 cars compete in ST2.

If you go to national tours or prosolos, only STS2 is available.

STS2 uses the STS rules, except for which cars are eligible. The eligible cars are any 2-seater or sports car with less than 1.9L engine displacement. 1999 and later Miatas and MR2 Spyders are specifically excluded.

ST2 uses the STS rules, but adds an allowance for any type of limited slip differential. Eligible cars include anything from CS, ES, GS, HS that isn't allowed in STS.

Which MR2 do you have?

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,966 Posts
Yea, the 85-9 MR2 is the only MR2 eligible for the National STS2 class. I guess we will have to wait for STX2 and STU2 for the rest - if those ever get created.

John
93T, 88 SC

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Orthonormal said:
First you need to figure out whether you're talking about STS2 (the provisional national class) or ST2 (the class developed on a Yahoo group by SCCA members and adopted by a few local clubs).

You're in Vallejo, so you can run San Francisco Region events. SFR offers ST2 for local events. STS2 cars compete in ST2.

If you go to national tours or prosolos, only STS2 is available.

STS2 uses the STS rules, except for which cars are eligible. The eligible cars are any 2-seater or sports car with less than 1.9L engine displacement. 1999 and later Miatas and MR2 Spyders are specifically excluded.

ST2 uses the STS rules, but adds an allowance for any type of limited slip differential. Eligible cars include anything from CS, ES, GS, HS that isn't allowed in STS.

Which MR2 do you have?
I'm referring to ST2, the regional class. They offer it here in the SFR and also in the Sacramento Chapter, which I was planning on running in. I'm not @ any level to do anything national for a good, long while =) I'm in a 91 n/a.

--E

·
Registered
324 Posts
With a 91 NA, you're good to go for ST2. Basically, just follow the STS rules for what modifications you can make. You can also add a limited slip differential if you want to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts