MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car out for a drive. It is a swapped in transmission with stock lsd.

Driving fine and have very little kms on this used transmission that I know of. Was driving very good. Then I just felt like the car was very hard to control.
Limped it home while diagnosing the symptoms.

On the accelerator. It drives how it should. When I shift or get off acceleration, car starts feeling like the back end is on ice. Very loose and even at 20mph feel like I could lose control.

What do people think it is? I've never had a bad lsd or know what a bad transmission would feel like.

All suspension is refreshed with new bushings. Car has maybe 100 miles on the suspension redone.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Double check that all of the rear control arm and tie rod bolts are torqued properly. This problem is often due to something being loose. Also, what are your alignment specs? Might not be enough rear toe in.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alex.
Just reading more on the site and other ideas are bad ball joint (these ones are new but could be faulty) or bad spherical bearing.

I'm leaning towards something loose because I did recently get an alignment and driving felt fine.
Even felt fine when I first took it out.

Almost like I hit a bump and something knocked loose or backed off. I panicked and pulled over to check that all my lug nuts were there. That's how loose this felt.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you drop the rear cross member to replace sway bar bushings? Could be loose crossmember

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,918 Posts
...On the accelerator. It drives how it should. When I shift or get off acceleration, car starts feeling like the back end is on ice. Very loose and even at 20mph feel like I could lose control....
This is characteristic of the toe changing with thrust. So, yes, something is probably loose. If that well runs dry, you can look for a tire with a separated belt. That can cause all sorts of squirrelly handling.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Found the problem. Insanely loose bolt on crossmember. Glad it was obvious to find, and that I didn't crash the car.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
That would do it! Any toe changes in these cars make them do that. I guess any car with a loose bolt holding the direction of the wheel would do that too.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took both sides out and thread locked them along with checking all the control arm bolts too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts