MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got the 2 about 6 months ago. and on startup and idle it squeels... alot.

it sounds like its coming from the alt. but i dont think its the belt because it goes away when i hit the gas (thats when a belt squeel should happen .. right?)
i was just wondering of anyone has encountered this problem before and what fixed it? ive tried belt dressing already, i guess im gonna try and tighten the belt a little tomarrow see if that helps.

also - do you guys get a raddle at 3200~3800 rpm? sounds almost like sheetmetal in the back... really annoying.

thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
wow exact same prblems i get.
the belt is the AC belt, and idk wut the rattle is, i hate it ugghh!!! i hope the solve it, i reallly want it gone. what year is your 2??

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
The squeel is more than likely the alternator belt and it can go away when you rev the engine. The rattle you hear is probably just the heat shield that is loose. These are nothing big check to see if the alternator is adjusted out far enough so that the belt is tight there shouldn't be any more that a 1/2 inch of slack in the bnelt at the most if theres more and it's adjusted all the way out then the belt is too big. About the rattle, just pop the engine lid and have someone rev the engine and wait to hear the rattle and then once you hear it press on the heat shield with something other than you bare hand, cause they kinda get hot, and the rattle should stop. if it's not that one then it might be the one on the cat. Hope this helps....

Also, where are you located???

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for hte input guys.
i know its not the alt belt , because i had it replaced right after i bought the car. thats why its baffeling me so much.

im located just south of m'boro tennessee
2's and anyone who knows anything about them are few and far between =/

·
Registered
146 Posts
Does your battery level indicator jump up when the squealing stop? Just having the belt replaced doesn't mean it's not going to loosen up on ya. ;) Seems to be a common problem for 2's.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Having the alternator belt changed makes it more likely it's the one squealing. They seem to stretch. I changed mine when I did my timing belt 4 years ago and I've had to tighten it a least 3 times since. It started squealing again last summer. It's especially bad after it rains or I wash it. Mine also quit when I revved it. I had a real loud rattle a few years ago and it was the curved heat shield where the exhaust goes over the crossmember.

·
Registered
70 Posts
the same thing happened to my girlfriends car. it would always squeal when you first turn on the car and after you pushed on the throttle a few times the noise went away. after a few months of not knowing what it was, the battery kept dying and we would recharge it and it would die again. turns out the alternator belt had snapped and the battery wasn't recharging. replaced the belt and the noise went away and everything was great. hope this helps.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i know that my belt isnt bad, but like said earlier, when it gets wet it squeels. thats not what i really hate, its the rattle, it drives me crazy i cant stand it, its lik i would rather walk lol not really but i hate it. i know its common, and out of over 1000 ppl someone must know how to fix it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Geez. Just tighten the darn thing properly and start enjoying your MR2 then. Belt dressing (or wax from a child's Crayola crayon rubbed on a suspected loose belt) will temporarily lessen or eliminate the squealing. Do write back and tell us what solves your problem. For the rattle, just wear earplugs. (not).

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Yes, it's a loose belt. Take it back to whoever installed it and tell them it squeals. They'll tighten it. I'll verify what Brianlp and everyone else has said. New belts stretch, then they squeal. Have the belt tension adjusted.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
I wouldn't even waste my time taking it back because it's such an easy job won't take you but at most 5 minutes so it IMO it's not worth the hassle. I think all it is, is a 14mm wrench to do the job.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
As for the rattle, have someone revving the engine while you stand back by the engine compartment and listen to see if you can hear where it's coming from.

M

·
0 Posts
I had all those same problems and it just went away on its own. kinda strange???????

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
brand new belts loosen up once, so you gotta retighten it a few days (max!) after installation.. after that it will hold tension, its just gotta get that initial stretch out of the way.

·
Registered
80 Posts
same here my fan belt squeels when i start it up just need to get around to tightning it up. whats the best way to tighten it up?? losen bolt on alternator and pullbelt tight and tighten bolt again??

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
On my 93, there are 3 bolts involved in tightening the belt. I have to remove the cruise control to get to the top 2. It's not a big deal, I think there are 3 bolts holding it in place. You just swing it out of the way, you don't have to disconnect anything. There is a bracket above the alternator with a long adjusting bolt and a lock bolt. There is also the pivot bolt you have to get from underneath that's a little hard to get to. Loosen the pivot bolt and lock bolt and turn the long adjusting screw until the belt is tight and then tighten the other 2.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah , i had to do the same thing , take off the diag. bracket and cruise control then just reach down with a 12m wrench and tighten it down.... was doing fine , till the bolt snapped D= anyone know what part # it is from toyota?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts