MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to install the spyder ABS unit in my JDM 1993. Hopefully this can act as a bit of a resource but I have a couple of questions for anyone who has done this. I have read Alex's writeup about 20 times Spyder ABS Install I am using the combined ABS computer and pump unit from 2005 spyder (2003+ has combined unit).

Anyway here are the wiring diagrams from both spyder and SW20. Luckily it looks like half of the wires can be ignored.

1) I believe the ABS to engine ECU wire can be ignored? Presumably for traction control which I have only seen once in a SW20 in real life.
2) It looks like the parking brake, stop light, ignition on and rear ABS sensor wires can be extended directly to their spyder counterparts?
3) I am guessing the D/G wire from the spyder harness can be ignored?
4) Would it make sense to ignore the SW20 diagnostic port and simply connect TS and TC together at the spyder harness (I have a pigtail only) when wanting to read codes?
5) Is the red/green WA wire on the spyder harness to go to the red/black SW20 ABS dash light? And ignore the yellow speedo wire? I see the polarity of the light circuit works differently.
6) I don't have a spyder frunk harness. Should I use shielded wire to connect the rear sensor wires to the pump/ECU? Same to exend the front sensor wires to the pump/ECU?
7) Is it fine to take the ABS ecu/pump unit and sensor shield grounds together to the battery ground point on the frunk firewall?

Thanks for any help.

SW20
Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel Pattern

Spyder
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've been chewing on this for about 10 years now. Just finally got the car running again and will be doing the wiring within in the next 60 days. (spyder pump and lines are already installed)

You'll want to hook up the data link TC and TS for sure. You'll likely need to clear the codes (short them and pump the brake switch ~10 times) once you get it going. SIL only if you have an OBD II port. I forget what all else It connects to. But I believe it's a communication wire for other onboard ECUs and maybe some advanced datastream diagnostics.

You will need to invert the ABS dash light. I forget what polarity it is, but it's inverted from the MK2. I've attached Jim King's diagram of the signal inverter. Just a basic transistor and resistor. I believe Alex did the same thing "on" his cluster. It's been a while since I looked at his wiring.

The SP1 wire can run your speed sensor on the dash. I'm not sure how close it is to the same gearing, Alex might can comment.

Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Art

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,657 Posts
Wow. I still have that notebook floating around in my garage... With notes from about 3 different engine swaps and such in it.

(4) Those wire are available at the SW ABS ECU location, so if you are extending the sensor wires and whatnot into the frunk, do those too. Unless you want a separate way to get codes from the Spyder ECU.
{5} Yes, ignore the speed signal (SP1) unless you need it for something.
(6) Yes, and don't forget to extend the shield connection from the rear sensors up to the Spyder ABS/ECU in the frunk. In the MK2 they are grounded at the ABS ECU.
(7) Any chassis ground should do.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been chewing on this for about 10 years now. Just finally got the car running again and will be doing the wiring within in the next 60 days. (spyder pump and lines are already installed)

You'll want to hook up the data link TC and TS for sure. You'll likely need to clear the codes (short them and pump the brake switch ~10 times) once you get it going. SIL only if you have an OBD II port. I forget what all else It connects to. But I believe it's a communication wire for other onboard ECUs and maybe some advanced datastream diagnostics.

You will need to invert the ABS dash light. I forget what polarity it is, but it's inverted from the MK2. I've attached Jim King's diagram of the signal inverter. Just a basic transistor and resistor. I believe Alex did the same thing "on" his cluster. It's been a while since I looked at his wiring.

The SP1 wire can run your speed sensor on the dash. I'm not sure how close it is to the same gearing, Alex might can comment.

View attachment 81660
Thanks for the help. I can't quite match the numbers and plug B from the diagram since I would assume that is for a separate ABS ECU and pump unit but I think I managed to make a basic wiring diagram based on what Alex did. Hopefully this looks correct?
Wood Circuit component Rectangle Parallel Font

Brown Wood Flooring Rectangle Floor

Wow. I still have that notebook floating around in my garage... With notes from about 3 different engine swaps and such in it.

(4) Those wire are available at the SW ABS ECU location, so if you are extending the sensor wires and whatnot into the frunk, do those too. Unless you want a separate way to get codes from the Spyder ECU.
{5} Yes, ignore the speed signal (SP1) unless you need it for something.
(6) Yes, and don't forget to extend the shield connection from the rear sensors up to the Spyder ABS/ECU in the frunk. In the MK2 they are grounded at the ABS ECU.
(7) Any chassis ground should do.
Thanks. I will buy some shielded wire. I remember from wiring ignition systems ages ago it isn't the most fun to work with. I have identified and tested every needed wire. All that is left are two grounds and a blue white wire that I have no idea what it does.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Bumper

Next is to pull apart my old front knuckles, take the ABS rings out, put them in the later model knuckles and hope that it is possible to machine the correct holes for the sensors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts