MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a custom mount for my gauges in a mkII, and I'm trying to find a paint that will match the stock black plastic of the interior. Can anybody recommend and paints they used?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The plastic usually holds pretty well, but I would still scuff up the surface a little to give it better adhesion. The vinyl is another matter---it will come off if you don't scuff it-----I know you're talking about plastic, I just mention it because others might try it on vinyl as well. Also, I know that Krylon has come out with a new paint that they say "bonds to the plastic" or something like that. Anyone tried it?

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Its called Fusion, i havent used it but i am to understand it is good stuff. If you use SEM get an adhesion promoter, SEM makes one and there is a product called bulldog. It is a clear "primer" that helps the paint stick to plastics.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a little overexcited to finish and went and bought some duplicolor interior trim paint before you guys posted. I should be more patient in the future =). I sanded the piece, sprayed it on, and heat gunned it. It doesn't match perfect like oem, so I'll try out the SEMs.

Krylon products are awesome in my book. I've used their paints for exterior parts and the paint is still holding up. Wow, I didn't know you could sand vinyl and paint it. Is it similar procedure to painting other parts? Does the paint crack? I'll read up some more.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
sorry to steal the thread but does anyone know a good paint to replace blue interior.. my glove box is chipping off and i have no idea what color blue to use, should i check out SEMS?

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
SEM makes interior dyes in cans. They have a couple of colors that are very close. i had an 87 and used SEM blue mist on a couple of spots and it is just a hair light but if you blend it out it matches fine. 15213 on this list...http://www.autostyles.com/sem.htm use the flexible bonding clear for sticking it too plastics. It is an adhesion promoter made specifically for this purpose it is at the bottom. i

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
8Legs said:
Its called Fusion, i havent used it but i am to understand it is good stuff. If you use SEM get an adhesion promoter, SEM makes one and there is a product called bulldog. It is a clear "primer" that helps the paint stick to plastics.
I used a rattlecan of Krylon Fusion to paint the door handle cups I cast with polyurethane. Adhered will and still looks pretty good, except where the bodyshop snapped a few pieces off when they disassembled the doors..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts