MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I strongly suggest against working in a "piggy back" fashion, and instead replacing the OEM ECU. Splicing into the OEM harness, and especially sensors, is problematic. You can, instead, build a patch harness, or a PCB which plugs in place of the OEM ECU.

The Speeduino project is fantastic, as far as a project goes. Their automated hardware-in-the-loop unit testing is really cool.
It is, however, still lacking on some features I've found necessary in other applications. Not sure if the same problems would pop up with the AW11 or not, but I ended up going with a microsquirt module for that application and found it to be very robust.

DIYAutoTune has a product called the DIYPNP. They used to have a version for the AW11, but the connectors are no longer available, so they discontinued it. You can still buy a DIYPNP from DIYAutoTune and make the board for the AW11 by cannibalizing a connector from another ECU, or try to find an older DIYPNP. You can use their base tune as a starting point, too.

You can, of course, build a similar patch harness or PCB for the Speeduino if you wish.

We don't have points on the AW11. The ignition timing is digitally controlled. CoP doesn't really offer much of an advantage for 4A-GEs until you get WAY up in the RPMs or WAY up in the boost. Your efforts would be better spent working on driving behavior, start, idle, acceleration enrichment, etc. Make it work well. Then decide what needs to be improved.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
That still sounds like building a new OEM harness, not necessarily a piggy-back harness. Unless you're describing something as a piggy-back that isn't what I'm thinking of.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
For the TPS to function correctly, you'll need the E2, VTA, and VCC.

IDL is just switched to ground. You can safely leave that out without any negative consequences for how a Speeduino functions. More importantly, the way you currently have it wired is probably not correct.

Vcc is +5 V provided by the ECU. Speeduino has this as well.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Yep. That's a common form-factor for VR conditioners. I've built a few in that form factor:

Speeduino also has a through-hole version, which is easier to assemble by hand, if you're not used to SMD soldering. I can't find it right now. I think DIY-EFI has a conditioner in that form factor as well. There might be a few others. Like I said, it's common.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts