1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
My first ask
Please be kind
I've done googling, and searched on here and still not sure on my best course of action.
It's quite simple
I have a rev 2 turbo fitted in what was originally a 92 non turbo car.
So.
I have mismatched speedo
I have a drive designed to send a signal to an electronic speedo.
But I have an old mechanical speedo with cable still hanging in the engine bay.
Obviously something needs to change. The speedo or the sender
I would have thought that there is a mechanical sender unit that I can put in the box and therfore put the cable in.
But I am not sure which one.
I have also read that my ecu may need the signal from the electronic speed sensor.
In which case that buggers up that thought and I need to change the speedo and do some wiring.
But then
I find mention of a mechanic speed sensor with pigtail wiring that does both ?
Please help.
Mot soon
Plus with the insurance I would like to get it working due to mileage photos for agreed value etc
Many thanks in advance
Tire Wheel Cloud Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
91t gen5
7,051 Posts
What transmission do you have? I think your best action would be to get the factory system working to pass MOT then work on an electric conversion.

·
Super Moderator
3,014 Posts
If the car is 92 then is should have always had electronic but if it was registered as a 92 but really it is 91 then that would be why it has the mechanical cable in there.

Background on the speedo system for the SW20. The 89-91 (ignoring the USA) had a mechanical speedo drive and cable to the speedo gauge. The gauge itself produced the electronic signal for the ECU. So the signal goes: Mech speed sensor, mech cable, speedo gauge, speedo signal created, sent through a wire to the ECU.

On the 92-99 it has an electronic speedo sensor however it still does something odd. So the signal goes: Electronic speed sensor, wire to speedo gauge, sent through another wire to the ECU.
There was a electronic adapter for 89-91 cars with cruise control that sent an electronic signal from the gearbox to the cruise control ECU even if the car had a mechanical cable.

Do you have a chassis number for your car? That way I can determine when it was built.

Like @J.harris asks, what is the gearbox in the car? You can determine this a few ways. Axles will tell you. If the right hand axles is a big long single one from gearbox to hub/wheel then it is S54 but if it has a 2 part axle that bolts to the engine then it is an E153. This will determine what sensor you need as they differ between gearboxes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many were you expecting?
i was given this option:
"You can determine this a few ways. Axles will tell you. If the right hand axles is a big long single one from gearbox to hub/wheel then it is S54 but if it has a 2 part axle that bolts to the engine then it is an E153. This will determine what sensor you need as they differ between gearboxes. "

since its 2 shafts on the right hand side of the car, i am assuming its a E153

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rev 2 e153 has a electric signal the early revs have mechanical need to unbolt from top of gearbox and fit a mechanical speedo drive that your speedo cable will screw to

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,014 Posts
Ok, so E153. So you have the option of both parts for the gearbox. Mechanical or electronic. But is your car really a REV2/1992? Photos or a chassis number will help me determine this please.

·
Super Moderator
3,014 Posts
So that means you need the mechanical speedo drive for the E153. Not so easy to find now.
You need all of this but sold out permanently so you will have to find something used.

I see the car was registered in May 1992 as a 1992 but you never know after so many years what people have done to the car or how accurate that information is. Does it have an electronic speedo but just happens to have a mechanical cable installed.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The speedometer cluster will accept either electric or mechanical. you would have to replace the cluster to change this. Electric clusters are hard to find and cost $750+. Do know which cluster you have?

You can change the transmission side easier between electric or mechanical.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If your car has a mechanical speedo which by sounds of it does as your speedo cable is through to engine bay check front section that joins under fuel tank that not broken as they are known for breaking there if all good just get the mechanical gear I sent a pick of it few days back on here if you get stuck message me I've one in a gearbox are you USA or UK?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
E154 gearbox according to your pictures my friend if that assists ?
View attachment 77537
So that means you need the mechanical speedo drive for the E153. Not so easy to find now.
You need all of this but sold out permanently so you will have to find something used.

I see the car was registered in May 1992 as a 1992 but you never know after so many years what people have done to the car or how accurate that information is. Does it have an electronic speedo but just happens to have a mechanical cable installed.
The speedo etc is original as far as i can see, with the speedo cable still routed through to the engine bay...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If your car has a mechanical speedo which by sounds of it does as your speedo cable is through to engine bay check front section that joins under fuel tank that not broken as they are known for breaking there if all good just get the mechanical gear I sent a pick of it few days back on here if you get stuck message me I've one in a gearbox are you USA or UK?

will check shortly on that, as car is on a ramp at the moment anyway..
UK based

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll did gearbox out over the weekend and see if can get the speedo gear out i live in Hull UK

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not fare then. Soon as get chance probably be Sunday I'll dig it out and message you. Do you go to car meets in Hull? You should bring your mr2 there one at ice arena and one at King George docks me and mate are into 3sgte he got a gt4 with 5s engine in I've just finished spraying his and turning into castrol rep this mine and his youll see us at the car meets.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts