MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short version:
Speedometer quit. Cable isn't broken or frayed. Odometer and Cruise Control both still work. Is there something wrong in the cluster?

The long version:
On a very cold morning recently, after jumping around a lot previously on a few other cold mornings, my speedometer quit. After searching the forum and reading about what sounded like the same thing happening to others, I pulled the inner part of the speedometer cable out expecting it to be broken. But it has no breaks, not even any fraying. I'll be off to get some lube in a bit and try that.

But, from what I could gather by reading other posts, the odometer and cruise control will also stop working when the speedometer does. Both of mine work fine. Does that maybe mean there's actually something wrong in the cluster? I kinda planned on buying a "new" cluster anyway because my trip odometer sometimes won't reset.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Same problem in my girlfriend's mr2. The odo/trip meters work, but the speedometer bottoms out (below 0) until ~60mph. Haven't tested her cruise though.

Anyway, for both of us, it's probably something in the cluster itself.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
sYn pHrEAk said:
The short version:
Speedometer quit. Cable isn't broken or frayed. Odometer and Cruise Control both still work. Is there something wrong in the cluster?

The long version:
On a very cold morning recently, after jumping around a lot previously on a few other cold mornings, my speedometer quit. After searching the forum and reading about what sounded like the same thing happening to others, I pulled the inner part of the speedometer cable out expecting it to be broken. But it has no breaks, not even any fraying. I'll be off to get some lube in a bit and try that.

But, from what I could gather by reading other posts, the odometer and cruise control will also stop working when the speedometer does. Both of mine work fine. Does that maybe mean there's actually something wrong in the cluster? I kinda planned on buying a "new" cluster anyway because my trip odometer sometimes won't reset.

It could be your cluster or it could be your attachment in your tranny itself. I have a 85 cluster you can have if you pay shipping

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to update this. The problem was definitely in the instrument panel. Switched it out and now I don't have to guess how fast I'm going! (Got rid of those ugly green covers on the lights, too.) So, if your speedometer quits, but your odometers and cruise control still work, it's probably the gauge cluster, not the cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts