MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just woundering if anyone else has ran in to the problem of the speedo and odometer all of a sudden not working
what happened ?
If anyone knows i'd appreciate any feed back on fixing it or atleast what is wrong instead of paying 100 bucks just in labor to get it looked at

thanx

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
What year mr2? This will tell us if you have an eletric cable, or a mechanical, cable driven speedo.

Most likely, its a 90 or 91, and the cable just got old and snapped. Pretty common actually! You need to find the speedo cable, goes from the back, upper portion of the transmission, towards the speedo. Its in a black rubber sleeve, and has a joint in the middle that seperates the upper and the lower speedo unit. Undue this, and have a buddy spin this, if your speedo moves, then you snapped the lower cable, if it doesnt, then you need to replace the upper.

Pretty easy fix, no worries. Enjoy your "free", unmonitored mileage :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on the problem appreciate it. You where right in assuming it was a 91 sounds easy to fix.

And yes I have enjoyed the "free" mileage and i can basically feel how fast im going anyway or by the Tach.

thanks agian

·
Registered
717 Posts
is there two cables or just one for both the speedo and tach??? I ask this because the tach on my 91' works but the speedo doesnt.

Thanks...

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
IIRC the tach goes off a electrical signal not a mechanical one like the speedo.

·
Registered
419 Posts
my 92 Turbo had this happen, the drive gear for the speed sensor in the tranny case snapped off, $30 part got through my bro who works for Toyota Parts. My Tach still worked, the drive gear only drives the ODO and the SPEEDO.

-J

·
Registered
419 Posts
I did the repair and I didn't drop the tranny...the drive gear is nylon and it shouldn't hurt anything in the tranny case, it is likely all chewed up by now or just sitting in the oil on the bottom of the case, no big deal, replacing the gear does not require removing the tranny providing that you don't drop anything besides the plastic gear head of the speedo sensor in the tranny. :lol:

- J

·
Registered
717 Posts
MRTurbo2 said:
replacing the gear does not require removing the tranny providing that you don't drop anything besides the plastic gear head of the speedo sensor in the tranny. :lol:

- J

omg: talk about reasuring ... :S..... I have to do this soon, dont like the speedometer not working, makes the car look OLD ~~~~ :S

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
oh my mistake, we didnt have the same problem. my driven gear that is actually inside the transmission that runs the nylon gear your talking about is broken. dont break it cause it's $$$ to drop tranny and open it up

·
Registered
583 Posts
My speedo/odometer/cruise control stopped working because My gear had a bad flat spot on it. upon further inspection, it was because the elbow piece that connects the gear and the cable together seized. Just make sure this turns freely before you assemble everything just to make sure.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
my elbow "L" shaped thing siezed as well and that siezed the nylon gear which in turn broke off my gear in the tranny :( ........the elbow was rusted from water getting in it's internals. If something with it is broken fix it right away, it doesnt cost that much and u can do it yourself. very easy repair with the link

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
anything is possible, most likely some part of the sub assembly go to the link 3 posts above, never heard of anyone breaking a gauge cluster. also depends on what year car you have if you have mechanical you have a speedo cable plugged into the back of the cluster,

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanx for all the replies i believe i got it know and if not i'm sure i can just come back and ask a few more ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
ok so i read this all and like. my tach works but not my speedo. how much is the part and how easy is it to fix? do i have to get under the car? im sorry i just an mr2 and my speedo doesnt work. its a 91 by the way.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There is a write up on this proceedure on this board somewhere...do a search, I used that proceedure. If you are as lucky as I was, the only part that's bad is the nylon drive gear. $30 part.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
SeanGTS said:
What year mr2? This will tell us if you have an eletric cable, or a mechanical, cable driven speedo.

Most likely, its a 90 or 91, and the cable just got old and snapped. Pretty common actually! You need to find the speedo cable, goes from the back, upper portion of the transmission, towards the speedo. Its in a black rubber sleeve, and has a joint in the middle that seperates the upper and the lower speedo unit. Undue this, and have a buddy spin this, if your speedo moves, then you snapped the lower cable, if it doesnt, then you need to replace the upper.

Pretty easy fix, no worries. Enjoy your "free", unmonitored mileage :)
Thats what was wrong with mine. Took me 30 minutes to fix. The hardest part is finding the cable. I just so happend to find a wrecked MR2 that was stripped out, but luckily for me the speedo cable was there lying on the ground. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts