MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had my Spec Stage 3 in for 2 full seasons of abuse.
It saw 75+ 1/4-mile runs, 20+ dynos, 3 hill climbs, a few autocrosses and lots of abusive street driving.

The worst abuse it saw was most likely the full blown 1/4-mile run I did with the linelock engaged. Image showing 300+ rwhp against front locked wheels ... when I got to the end of the track the front brake were on fire.
Can you imagine what the clutch was going though??

At any rate, this past season I started getting serious "thumping" going down the track when gears would engaged and I suspected the clutch was fighting to grab. It appears I was correct. It did not "slip" like a normal clutch does when it is worn.

The first time I felt this "thumping" was at summer slam (when I started doing 2nd gear burnouts). That is also the only tim I hit a 1.6 in the 60' and a bunch of 1.7s. Since that weekend, I only managed to hit 1.7s three times even with the new drag wheels. I am sure the clutch was giving up.

I am 100% confident this is the reason that:
1. My times did not drastically improve with the RMR Intake.
2. My times did not drastically improve with the new drag wheels (this and the tire were rubbing the inside 1/4 panels).

** The RMR intake was added right after the Summer Slam event when the thumping began.

I am completely confident that if this clutch wasn't worn like this, I would have easily surpassed 11.5 last year.

Hyde just got a new SPEC Stage 3 PP, Stage 5 clutch disc and a newly resurfaced OEM flywheel. With this new clutch, some more eight reduction and the 'new' power we are expecting over the winter I am hoping to start chasing 10s ... or at least start sniffing them :)

Not sure how clear it is in the photo, but the 4-puck actually wore a textured groove into both the PP and the flywheel. It is quite the ditch :D

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Fffugly. With three f's.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol ... yeah, Turbo_PePe, I'll take $350.
I'll even throw in the flywheel and that stupid under-sized oil return line that was sent for me to use with my turbo ;)

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't wait! ... we'll see how it goes. The new clutch is in, just waiting for the rest of the mods to arrive to complete the winter business.

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
Not sure how clear it is in the photo, but the 4-puck actually wore a textured groove into both the PP and the flywheel. It is quite the ditch :D
Welcome to metal pucked clutches....

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Jeff,
Seeing as though I have the same clutch (well almost as I bought a sprung hub) as you are installing, I am really currious to see how it works out for you! I am happy with it so far. Definitely break it in for 500 city miles as I have felt it "maturing" . Good luck this season!

Cheers,

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
thetjs, yes that was the oil return line that was supplied to me and it has been in there for 3 years. *sigh* ... within one month of our starting this brand new T3T4 up, it started showing signs of oil backing up and seaping past the seals. No, I was not pleased with it. As part of my winter work, KO Racing sold me their oil return set up which is much more appropriatley sized.

Garrett, I am installing the stage 5 disc now and stage 3 PP. Mister3 said the staage5 does not need a break in period, which is a good thing since we are straigh to the dyno after some street tuning :)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Interesting. Josh would know! I can say that I have felt it changing a bit with some break in ... but now that I know this, I will likely be stomping on my car on the way home :smile: !!!

Cheers,
G

JekylandHyde said:
thetjs, yes that was the oil return line that was supplied to me and it has been in there for 3 years. *sigh* ... within one month of our starting this brand new T3T4 up, it started showing signs of oil backing up and seaping past the seals. No, I was not pleased with it. As part of my winter work, KO Racing sold me their oil return set up which is much more appropriatley sized.

Garrett, I am installing the stage 5 disc now and stage 3 PP. Mister3 said the staage5 does not need a break in period, which is a good thing since we are straigh to the dyno after noshoes does some street tuning :)

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
WolfKatz said:
Interesting. Josh would know! I can say that I have felt it changing a bit with some break in ... but now that I know this, I will likely be stomping on my car on the way home :smile: !!!

Cheers,
G
stomp away ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts