MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently looking for a new clutch, i broke off a little piece on my other clutch disk. It must be a defective part because it is also a new performance clutch with no more than 2000 miles on it and i still have stock 3sgte horsepower. I've been looking at the Spec stage 2 clutchs that can handle somewhere around 400 ft lb torque, i was just curious to see if anyone has used these or is currently using one. If so, how did it work out for you? Or any other suggestions for a clutch? Thanks.

-Tyler

(My car is a 91 NA with JDM 92 3sgte)

here is what i've been looking at:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pri...wheels/Clutch_Kits/part/Sport_Compact_Stage_2

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i have a spec stage 3, and i have driven my fren's mr2 w/ a spec 2. Pedal is soft, but it sure is grabby. From what i felt, there seems to be no difference of feeling from the drving, but if your planning for future plans, go with a stage 3 and just spend couple bucks more. Spec for life!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do plan for future mods, probably to get around 250-300 rwhp, i just didn't know if i could get a clutch that was TOO strong if you know what i mean. Also, i forgot to add that i have a HKS lightened flywheel, i don't know if that would make a difference in which clutch i should get. I've heard that i can ruin the flywheel if i don't get the right clutch and that i could also ruin my tranny. Is this true?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I have a spec stage 3, I think it has a good feeling and grab to it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would a stage 3 clutch be alright with a stock 3sgte then? Or would that not be good for the tranny and flywheel?

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
kimbo15 said:
Would a stage 3 clutch be alright with a stock 3sgte then? Or would that not be good for the tranny and flywheel?
a stage3 would be perfectly fine for a stock engine and flywheel -- won't tear everything up ;)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
mister3 said:
a stage3 would be perfectly fine for a stock engine and flywheel -- won't tear everything up ;)
Hey Josh, this is Tyler who bought the black mr2 from you over in Portland in August, I was with Jared. I actually don't have the stock flywheel anymore, i have an HKS lightened one. Im also putting in a 93 tranny with lsd if that makes any difference. What do you mean by it won't tear everything up? :p Oh, and before i forget, does that car have the turbo or NA fuel pump in it?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm guessing by "noisy" he means clutch chatter. Which, if is the case, is an install error because the Stage II should be chatter-free after a proper break in period.

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
kimbo15 said:
Hey Josh, this is Tyler who bought the black mr2 from you over in Portland in August, I was with Jared. I actually don't have the stock flywheel anymore, i have an HKS lightened one. Im also putting in a 93 tranny with lsd if that makes any difference. What do you mean by it won't tear everything up? :p Oh, and before i forget, does that car have the turbo or NA fuel pump in it?
the SPEC stage3 is a puck style clutch -- most other brands have materials which will wear into the pressure plate and flywheel really bad.... sometimes enough where those 2 surfaces actually start touching..... the SPEC puck material doesn't wear those surfaces anything near what others do and has excellent driveability as well ;)

i can't say for sure but if i were to assume the guess would be the car still has the NA pump installed

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mister3 said:
the SPEC stage3 is a puck style clutch -- most other brands have materials which will wear into the pressure plate and flywheel really bad.... sometimes enough where those 2 surfaces actually start touching..... the SPEC puck material doesn't wear those surfaces anything near what others do and has excellent driveability as well ;)
So what you're saying is that you think i'd be alright with getting the stage 3 then?

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
kimbo15 said:
So what you're saying is that you think i'd be alright with getting the stage 3 then?
perfectly fine with a stage3 clutch -- will drive similar to stock actually but be more grippy/quick engaging

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
mister3 said:
perfectly fine with a stage3 clutch -- will drive similar to stock actually but be more grippy/quick engaging
I second his statement. Another board member with a stock clutch drove my car with the spec, besides the power diff between my car and his he liked the feel of the spec clutch even over stock.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
im planning on buying a spec stage 3 clutch too. my car is gonna have about 250whp. whats gonna happen if i dump the clutch from 1st to 2nd with a stock tranny and axles with all that grab? is my tranny just gonna go kaboom? with all that power though i may not see the need to be dumping the clutch becuase my car will be fast enough for me anyway.

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
red_91duece said:
im planning on buying a spec stage 3 clutch too. my car is gonna have about 250whp. whats gonna happen if i dump the clutch from 1st to 2nd with a stock tranny and axles with all that grab? is my tranny just gonna go kaboom? with all that power though i may not see the need to be dumping the clutch becuase my car will be fast enough for me anyway.
the stage3 will handle clutch dumping no prob in a 250 whp car ;)

all this dumping will wear on drivetrain components over time but no matter what clutch you have if you drive hard it'll wear items quicker

1 - 18 of 18 Posts