MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
I originally used the stock rubber hoses to connect the pipes and get it running but it looked like crap and the hoses popped off. I switched to mcmaster carr clamps and hose from high temp silicone. I know I used a section for the connection between the stock aluminum pipe and the new spearco piece. I'll see if I can find pics.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks...

i got them to bend a piece of exhaust pipe for the inlet to the intercooler... the spearco piece was about 4" too short.

not sure what to do with the top just yet but think i'll talk to turbohoses and see if i can get the piping for their stage 9 kit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The spearco kit should have come with 4 pieces of pipe and 4 short hoses. You will need to use and shorten the stock hose that fits between the "hot pipe" and the stock intercooler.

I can send you some photos of my install if you need them.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
kmsnsx said:
turbohoses = $$$$$
Well custom applications arent usually "cheap". If you go "cheap" you might ending up spending more in the end anyways. I get A LOT of calls for Spearco replacement hoses, Greddy hoses, and piping upgrades. It. Last group buy they had on the Spearco IC kits, about 75% of those people called me for a few replacement parts because they did not fit.

TRD200, post some pics I can probably help you with some info.

·
Registered
824 Posts
-I went to Home Depot, bought a bunch of pvc bends and straights, fabbed up the exact length/bends I needed, then glued them together.
-There is this guy on Ebay who you send the length of pvc bends to, and he cutom bends aluminum pieces and bead rolls the ends. They were a flawless fit.
-I was under the impression it was going to be one solid piece, but it was actually 3 pieces I had to use silicone couplers to clamp together. (no big deal really)
-I could've had him just not bead roll the ends, where the aluminum pieces would meet(if I knew ahead of time), and I could have just brought them to a local welder to join them together, but I just left things as they are, and at 15psi; everything's fine. (even through a heavy track use/HPDE weekend)
-The 3 custom bends were about $70. (If I remember right)
-I should have pix at home. (at work now)

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
No offense, but that looks like a real mess. While I wasn't thrilled with the piping that came with my Spearco;

it fit a lot better than your setup. It actually came with two more hoses than are shown in that picture. There was a short hose transition from the stock BOV pipe to the 2.25" elbow pictured top right, then a short hose transition from that elbow to the 2.25" diameter, L shaped pipe to it's left in my picture. That pipe was connected to the IC inlet. From the IC outlet, there was a straight hose coupling, then the 2.5" diameter long pipe at the bottom of the pic, followed by the final 2.5" diameter elbow, which connected to the throttle body inlet.

I had Kris from KO weld in a section of 2.25" pipe to connect that elbow to the L shaped piece of pipe, eliminating one hose transition, and a 2.5" piece of pipe connecting the other two pipes, making the pipe from the IC outlet to the tb inlet all one piece:

Ken

·
Registered
824 Posts
KBlake said:
No offense, but that looks like a real mess. .....
-
-Ouch, my groin hurt after that one! Low blow.
-
-Anywho, maybe I should have explained in better detail; my story.
-I bought my Spearco used, and it was the core only. So I had little choice but to have some pipes fabbed up. I paid less than half what the Spearco kit sells for new, and all I was missing was the pipes. Bang for the buck, I couldnt pass it up, the core was in excellent shape.
-I couldn't find anyone local who was willing to give me the time of day to fab up some piping; unless I drove a Ford, Chevy or Dodge; And the few import tuner/shops we have are hacks, that specialize in neon lights and stickers. And turbohoses is too much $, and bling for me.
-I approached several board members who had custom Spearco piping (including yourself Ken), and offered to pay to have some piping fabbed up; no one wanted to bother.
-Like I said, I was also a bit dissapointed in the piping (and it's only one mor coupler than the piping that comes with the kit); as it was supposed to be one piece. But it works fine, so I'll live with it (for now).
-And again, a Spearco kit for a bit over half what they are new..........I can't complain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.