MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed my cd player this morning and at the moment im running off of one battered sony speaker, lol, so i wanna get some new ones.. i dont wanna do the doors though cause i dont think i would hear those very well versus putting some in the spots on the dash.. but i cant figure out what size speakers those holes would hold... anyone? if i cant get a size i'll just make somethin fit, lol

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
They're 4". Be careful to measure when buying some new speakers, because some of the real beefy 4"ers wont fit perfectly flush in like the stock did. I had to do a little bending and cutting to get my big ass 4" to fit, ended up cutting a hole in the stock speaker grilles and then re-covering with some speaker cover fabric

The most important thing for sound is the dash speakers in the MR2.. Ideally the best sound should come from in front of you on the left and right. I went with some custom door speakers too, makes really nice imaging.

I recently just finished beefing up the sound system in my car (running big power to the dash speakers via an amp), I'm really really really really happy with it now (as you can see). :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, i'll probably fab some larger in rear but didnt really wanna mess with fabbing anything on the dash cause of there not bein enough room to work very well

*edit* im a pretty big audio buff myself, i havent had a car so far without a couple subs and close to 2000W runnin through it all, lol.. it looks like that's going to be slightly harder with the MR2 tho

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You can get some very nice speakers in the dash far easier than you could ever get anything good in the rear.

Personally I think rear speakers are pointless, but that's just opinion. I'm also running an 8" Kicker Solo-Baric behind the passenger seat. You can get dual 10s in the MKI if you're short (if that's your thing... not me ;))

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im like 5'7, so i can probably fab some subs behind me somehow.. im pretty handy with stereo stuff so i enjoy finding new ways to install stuff, lol, i kinda figured rear speakers would do no good in the MR2, although i ran off of solely rear speakers in my 510 and my first honda and that sounded pretty good.. if i have my way i'll prob have a 6 speaker setup, a couple subs, and a couple thousand watt's goin thru it all, lol

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Crazy man! I've seen some custom speakers fabbed into the centre of the dash in replacement of the air vent, combined with components in the dash and in the doors...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i thought about that as well, i saw some nice speakers that would fit in there perfectly too... hmm, maybe an 8 speaker setup now :).. thats gonna be fun to figure out how to wire it

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Edit: Wrong thread

1 - 11 of 11 Posts