MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok, that's my car. Now, I have never seen anothe MK1 with a spare tire cover... is this stock?

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
That's not stock. It's a spare tire cover off a travel trailer or Jeep-type vehicle. Stock is what Nepherim is showing.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
has anyone ever had thier stock spare tire cover say on their car without just falling of into the frunk?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I've been wondering what's supposed to be holding that thing in place. Every time I open the frunk it's not on the tire.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
When new, at least the earlier ones had a little elastic band that went behind the tire. I think I've seen maybe one or 2 that still had the elastic on them.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My 89 came with a soft cover like that pictured. I picked up a couple of hard covers from a guy that said it was a dealer option

*shrugs*

dunno.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The 88 car I found in the local junkyard has a softy cover that fits over the small doughnut tires only. There's no way that it would fit over a full sized tire.

·
Burbank's fastest AW11
14,473 Posts
I rather have the soft cover. The hard cover gets tossed all over the place. Wanna sell it???

Peace-

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have a hard plastic cover and it stays on there pretty good. I want to put a full size zpare in there will it fit????

·
Duck Tape Level
1,331 Posts
Hard cover. Bungie cord across it holds that and a funnel in place.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm, so it seems like it might be stock, but only in 89? (and I would guess 88 too?)

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
There were 2 different part numbers for the spare tire cover, one for the sunroof and T-top cars, one for the hardtop - both are semi-rigid. They were only installed in the >'87 cars from the factory. And there is no part # for a "soft" cover.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts