MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an idea I thought of on my way home from work tonight.

First let me say that I am no into the whole neon light deal, and will not be doing this to my own car. It might be something someone would be interested in doing and who knows... Even though I am not into the neon stuff, I would like to see this done and would not think it was "nasty" or even "rice". Just not something I would personaly do.

Now lets use my AutoVation shifter plate for a refferance.

http://www.kupop.net/mr2/shifter/DSC01937.JPG (large picture so I didn't post)

Notice how it has MR2 engraved in it.

Here is my idea. What if you were to take a shifter surround similar to what I have, or even the stock plastic piece and actually cut out "MR2", "TOYOTA" or even a Toyota logo. Then place a small neon tube or some LEDs under there so that at night it would glow and the letters or logo would light up...

You could also fill in the area you cut out with some type of clear epoxy or something. It would prevent items from being dropped in or even your sleeve from getting caught on it while shifting.

Anyways, it was just a thought and I figured I would share it. It might of been done already but I never seen it even mentioned on here.

I had a similar idea in my previous car (87 Trans Am). I was going to take the passenger side panel out under where the glove box typically is (none in that car, just some little pouch) and cut out PONTAIC and then fill it with some clear materal and put a red neon behind it. Of course I never did and I am out of that type of modifications anymore (neons and such).

-Kevin

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think of some odd stuff while driving home from work at night ...

You should be able to cut it with a scroll saw. Laser would work but could cost some money. The results would be better also.

·
Registered
124 Posts
:D its doable, get clear plastic paint the back of it black, engrave from the back on the black paint. than get some EL glow sheet and paste it under neath and your done hehe. well in a simple aspect

·
Registered
635 Posts
Like what PlATiuM said but easier:
Create a DXF of the word MR2 in your desired font. Take it to a sign writer and get them to cut the word out of self adhesive vinyl. Make sure the sticky side is UP. Stick the letters to a piece of clear plastic and spray that side black. Peel off the vinyl letters and then glue the EL sheet down on the paint side so that it shines though the clear plastic that was marked off. :)

Did that make sense?

-nathan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts