MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, you can color me stupid for this, but I have searched, and I havnt found the answer to my question. Alright, I am trying to change my O2 sensor on my 1989 MR2, well I have the 4 wire hook-up, the O2 sensor I got is a single wire hook-up. Would it be fine if I just combined the tips of the 4 wires into one, and connect it to the O2 sensor, or do I really need to buy the whole new single cable hookup? Thanks.

-Chris

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
The 1 wire won't work and you will get a CEL, those extra wires are for the sensor's heating element since it was moved back further. Don't connect all the wires, you'll end up blowing the EFI fuse as soon as you turn the key. You need the 4 wire one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hang on, so your saying that even if I get the single wire conversion it wont work? That I absolutly NEED the 4 wire O2 sensor?

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
What single wire convertion?? If the ecu doesn't sense the heater on the O2 sensor it will go into limp mode and you'll get a check engine light unles you can somehow fool the ecu in to thinking it has a heater assy. and or the correct sensor installed.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You need the OEM style sensor. Return the one you bought and pick up the appropriate one. I got a Bosch one and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I picked up the proper O2 sensor. How exactly do I put it on? The sensor didnt come with instructions, and on my car their are 2 black wires, a white or gray wire, and a purple or blue wire. On the sensor their is a black, gray and two white wires. I figure I attach the black wires on the car to the white wires on the sensor, but what about the other two? Could anyone help me or send me a link that shows how to do it please. Thank you.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'd try to get an 02 sensor with the coupler already on it, if at all possible.
A one wire splice job....welll, OK but splicing four wires? It's a mess. A pre-made sensor setup with coupler is much nicer.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah i would have to say that splicing the wires on a o2 is a pain just try to get a adapter already on there. If not make sure you do solder and heat shrink tubing. and check your work a couple times so you know you have it right

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help everyone, as you can see this is my first time doing exhaust. So thanks again. Also thanks to papo, the link helped a lot. That was what I really needed. Im not too worried about the splicing... I have a couple years of splicing on my side so it shouldnt be too bad... I hope :) Well thanks again for the help people.

-Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts