Discussion Starter #1
hey i think i posted it in the wrong section b4. oops

anyways... hi, i'm new member, and i've recently bought my car
its a 91 na mr2.

i bought a turbo engine but its gonna take awhile to reach me,
so i was thinking of puttin a 50-70 dry shot on it

what do you guys think?
good or bad idea?
and how much do you think id run on the 1/4?

thnx

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
keep it stock till you get the new engine, unless you dont care about the 5sfe than go for it :D

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
What conditions is your engine in? High mileage? Well taken care of? Is everything else tuned up? :)

If you drive well, I guess a 50 shot might help you get into/close to 14s if your car is otherwise stock. These things ran 16-somethings new (although some people have reported very high 15s) and most of them are pretty beaten up now, so more like a 17-something.

IF you're swapping turbo.. save the cash you were going to blow on nitrous and get a boost controller and FCD for the 3SGTE.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well... i hit bearings the other day.
when i just bought the car!
cause it was a lady who had it b4 and it was REALLY beanten up.
but i changed all the old parts. all the seal, headgasket and crank.
i mean the engine is in pretty good condition now.
and i just changed all the sensors and tranny oil the other day as well.

and well... you see its gonna cost me very little to put the 50 on.

so what you guys say?
give it a shot?
how much you say i can do.
i wanna do like low 15s

i'm on 17s now, but o think i should rce on 15s or 16s.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what are some simple and cheap upgrades i can do to the na engine?

i dont wana spend money on it cause the turbo engine is coming soon.

but its so SLOW! its driving me mad.
i raced a 1300 turbo colt the other day and lost!
i was so embarassed!! i mean it was my first time launching the car still, and i didnt really get it right, and he only beat me by a 1.2 a car length, but still 1300!!
it really hurt me. lol

S

·
0 Posts
dont street race, go to the track,.. your only 18 your not invinsible, what if you hit some poor little kid? It CAN happen... and n/a's will be slow until you get a turbo,. the most recorded rwhp was 145 by something snodgrass.... yea n/a's suck(in straights)

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
wow, a 1300.. hahahah sorry but i have never lost to one of those :)
i would just save the money to put into the turbo, but with intake, headers and exhaust you could be close to the high 14's range....
o and street raceing is a huge do NOT talk about on this board :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
How about you not blow this engine up, and sell it to me for cheap when you get your 3s. :) I could use a new motor in good shape. I dont want to replace a headgasket if I can get an entire engine cheap.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I'd just wait for the turbo driveline instead of spending the time to install a nitrous kit, tune it, run for a little while, then remove it again when it's time to put the turbo motor in.

Spend the time instead on driving school at a local road course. I can't suggest any schools since it doesn't say where you are from.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol... yeh sucks to be beaten by a 1300.. was turbo tho. wasnt natural.
wasnt a street race.
i dont mess around street racing.
like i said its not gonna be a big deal to install the kit.
and i am taking my time to learn the car.

so you think i could run the 15s with the kit then.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
sell car, buy camaro/mustang. problem solved.

if you want to put a 50 shot on.. go ahead. the engine take that no problem at all. but it'll still be comparatively slow. waste of a sportscar imo : /

so you think i could run the 15s with the kit then.
you should be able to hit 15's stock, around sealevel.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yeah, I was beat by a Lincoln Navigator launching on a green light. 5SFEs R fun but pretty slow. Have you driven a 3SGTE yet?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Chiney_Dolly said:
but its so SLOW! its driving me mad.
i raced a 1300 turbo colt the other day and lost!
i was so embarassed!! i mean it was my first time launching the car still, and i didnt really get it right, and he only beat me by a 1.2 a car length, but still 1300!!
it really hurt me. lol
did you race him on a twisty road cause if you did theres no way he'd win. actually if he's a better driver than you then yea. if its drag racing then your probabally not launching right. drop it at 5,000 rpm you'll be suprised at how well it grips. stock 5s is no drag engine. fastest moded ones run low 14's. most hp 5s NA has 150whp with mild build up but thats the most anyone ever attempted on a 5s.

welcome to the board.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
17's wow!!!! i ran a 16.2 with about 150lbs of extra crap in the car. and it had 162k on it! i love the 5sfe's the sound can not be beaten.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Black2na said:
17's wow!!!! i ran a 16.2 with about 150lbs of extra crap in the car. and it had 162k on it! i love the 5sfe's the sound can not be beaten.
Eh... I've owned plenty of cars that beat it on sound. The 3SGTE sounds better IMO :didi:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts