MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, local toyota dealership ran some part numbers found on random areas of my engine, and pretty much proves my engine is the 91 celica 5sfe. How? b/c I have a different cap & rotor that ann u guys. Why? cuz only that year celica has them.

So. I have nothing to say really...

doesnt this mean I have the 135 HP engine?

"The 5S-FE engine, shared with the more sedate Camry, is standard on the GT and GT-S and produces 135hp, while the ST's 7A-FE churns out 115hp, most of it low in the rpm range, making the car surprisingly quick off the line. The Celica looks good, is quick, and sells well. The All-Trac Turbo (aka GT-4 to the rest of the world) is the rowdy one in the family, with its awesome turbo power (200hp, 16-valve 3S-GTE) and full-time all-wheel drive."

-Aaron

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'll reaffirm the no. The 91-92 Celicas has 130 HP engines, whereas the 92-93 engine had 135. I think they had slightly more aggressive cams.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
To elaborate on PETC's post, the power gain in the celica's and '93+ MR2's was in the electronics and EFI system, not in the mechanical portion of the engine. When they swapped your motor in I they just swapped the long block in and used the existing harness, ECU, etc. Unless they went to all that work of swapping out the electronics, you only have 130hp.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL not that it really matters, I just wanted to know =] So. essentially the same motor, same hardware.

Mods should be the same too? As in intake is still worthless, and headers/exhaust would be the cheapest HP mods?

Can someone explain how come although the MR2s had dual exhaust, it still remained the same power as the Celica? Im comparing this to the Lexus IS300+GS300, where due to the GS's header/dual exhaust, it gain a bit more power?

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Why would it have less power because it had dual exhaust???

And intake is probably the single cheapest/best mod you can do on the 5S...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I mean the GS has MORE power than the IS just cuz of the higher flowing exhaust out of the factory. SO im wondering how come the 5s in the mr2 doesnt have a tad bit more power out of the factory...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
PETC said:
Why would it have less power because it had dual exhaust???

And intake is probably the single cheapest/best mod you can do on the 5S...
It depends on what your definition of best is. If by best you mean making the car sound better and much easier to work on, then yes. But as for performance goes you will probably gain a whopping 2hp.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
PETC said:
Yes. But that's the cheapest 2 hp you can make on the 5S.
That all depends on whether you buy an intake or make your own. Say you paid $90 for an intake, $45 per horsepower gained. If you can gain 8 HP from a header, you may actually notice the difference and your probably paying around the same amount of $ for the horses (although, I'm haven't chccked prices for headers in a while). So IMO, I'd say header is the "best" 5sfe mod for the money.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Actually advancing the timing is probably the cheapest 2hp on a 5SFE :p

But yeah intakes are still cool I wont argue that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts