MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
it came out pretty slick but had a lil trash in the clear. i put three coats of clear on so i would have plenty of material there to wet sand and buff it. the trash will buff out of the clear. im goin to let the car sit for 2-3 days before i start buffing so that it is fully cured. once i buff it she starts going back together!

·
Registered
853 Posts
This is very impressive, love to see threads like this. Props to you for saving that rear 1/4 panel... that is definitely a lot of work but you sir are a pro!

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Gadam janky. That's a lot more work than I thought you were doing. Well, I got the mold, pva, wax, fiberglass, and gelcoat from the old shop. All I need is resin and mekp and we can do you a lip. Give me a holler one day when you got some free time and we'll lay one up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but don't you worry about sealing in moisture by washing the primer before painting over it? I wouldn't want to leave it unwashed, but I also feel like it would be bad to have the primer any less than ultra-ultra-ultra dry before putting paint over it...

Looks excellent!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
AndrewZorn said:
This might be a dumb question, but don't you worry about sealing in moisture by washing the primer before painting over it? I wouldn't want to leave it unwashed, but I also feel like it would be bad to have the primer any less than ultra-ultra-ultra dry before putting paint over it...

Looks excellent!
Not so much- there are specialized wax and grease removers for paint work. The solvents used in them dry off in minutes and leave no residue.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
AndrewZorn said:

Looks excellent!

I painted it 24 hours after I washed it. Had I been an hour or two before I painted it I would have worried about running into problems. You don't really have to worry about sealing it in for two reason. 1. I baked the car which usually dries it out,2. When ever you paint over water or water drops on the car it is very easy to see.

There is alot of wiping it down first I wiped it down with a water based precleaner the a solvent base cleaner. Both do a very good job. But the solvent dries up in minutes. I also have the booth on when I wipe them down. Which is pulling air across all the panel making the cleaners dry faster. Then I use an air blower and a tack rag to do the final wipe down.. So the panels are pretty clean and dry when it's time to paint. And the whole time I wipe them down I am also looking for problems anything thing from bad spots in the primer,water,grease, to the masking tape not being stuck on the edges. It is all in the prep work

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Me too. From one body guy to another...keep up the good work. I stuck the thread, way too much good info in there someone else can use. mswerd

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Been waiting on you to chime in 8legs. =)

I'm out in the shop now doing some of this and that. Kinda cleaning a few things up and sorting the zip lock bags I put all the bolts in. My buddy that helped me do the final prep and paint is coming over tomorrow night and the buffing will begin. It's been sitting untouched since Saturday morning so tomorrow will make 5 days. Should be enough time to buff it. Then it will be time for assembly. I am ready to have her done.

Ordered New rear bumper extensions ,ttop seals, belt molding from Toyota hopefully they will show up any day now . Got a few lil pieces left to paint but I think Its all down hill from here. =)

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
hybrid10 said:
Been waiting on you to chime in 8legs. =)

I'm out in the shop now doing some of this and that. Kinda cleaning a few things up and sorting the zip lock bags I put all the bolts in. My buddy that helped me do the final prep and paint is coming over tomorrow night and the buffing will begin. It's been sitting untouched since Saturday morning so tomorrow will make 5 days. Should be enough time to buff it. Then it will be time for assembly. I am ready to have her done.

Ordered New rear bumper extensions ,ttop seals, belt molding from Toyota hopefully they will show up any day now . Got a few lil pieces left to paint but I think Its all down hill from here. =)
Been outta the loop for a little while. Shop expansion putting 2 more booths in and all of that. I've done my part, my dad has the reigns from here. Now I can go back to having fun again.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Love the color blue you decided on. Good work.

My father owned a paint and panel body shop which I learned how repair and paint cars when I was a teenager. After I did my first couple of cars I decided it wasn't something I could do for a career. Its alot harder to get a decent paint job then most people realise and yours looks great. Thanks for sharing with us.

jim

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
8Legs said:
Been outta the loop for a little while. Shop expansion putting 2 more booths in and all of that. I've done my part, my dad has the reigns from here. Now I can go back to having fun again.
i hear ya. i have wanted to open a shop for a while. its just alot of money to start up.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
benckj said:
Love the color blue you decided on. Good work.

My father owned a paint and panel body shop which I learned how repair and paint cars when I was a teenager. After I did my first couple of cars I decided it wasn't something I could do for a career. Its alot harder to get a decent paint job then most people realise and yours looks great. Thanks for sharing with us.

jim
thanks man it has def been alot of work. and i hope it pays off. ijust want to have a nice,fresh,newish, looking 20 year old car lol. hope thats what i got when she is back together.

101 - 120 of 164 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.