MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
a couple people have ask me to be more detailed in the repair process to help others who want to do it for themselves
so in this pic you can see i started block sanding the roof with 180 grit.and started seeing the dents.you can see the low spot

another trick i learned along the way is to make my own sanding blocks. the guy that taught me this actually used to paint some of Jay lenos cars and also did some clay molding for cadillac and on the new z06. he was full of knowledge. anyway. one the the best and cheapest sanding blocks in my collection is a paint mixing stick. yea the wood stick they use to stir paint. but he taught me that if you put a strip of velcro ( the soft side) on both sides it helps on curved surfaces such as roof corners and fender flares. ill try to post a pic of it tomorrow

you can see i cut through a few layers of paint and found more dings
this is a putty i like to use it works great for tiny dings.you can get it at most autobody supply houses

thin wipe to fill the dings

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
blocked the thin putty with 180 grit.then went over it with 320 grit so the primer will have less to fill and less chance of shrink back and scratches showing back up in the paint later.

it looks rough but its smooth

the entire roof is ready to prime. i also feathered out the edge where the paint was chipping and had the hard paint line around the rear window trim molding
i also took the truck lid off and blocked it and fixed about 4 dents in it . got it all scuffed and ready for primer.i will get a pic of that tomorrow.i got the spoiler off. it has lots of bad paint spots on it. whoever painted it before didnt remove it or disassemble it

over spray on the sides of the spoiler

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
this pic shows the paint line around the factory spoiler. it will be feathered out this week and primed.

this pic is the help. and by help i mean she took parts i took off to the guest bedroom and brought back a tasty beverages to the shop.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
finished blocking the trunk lid and got it primed. using a 2k build primer. spraying primer with a iwata primer gun with a 1.8 tip....will give plenty of build. i have found that 3 coats is usually plenty to fill 180/320 grit scratches but is not so much that you have to worry about it shrinking. also taped up the holes when priming to avoid overspray on the underside

roof and sail panels blocked and primed

tomorrow im driving the car to work.(yes with no window and yes i will be cold) im going to put it on the frame machine to see if i can get this lil door ding in the qtr panel to pull out the way i want it too.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I always liked this car. I'm glad it went to such a capable person. Thanks for showing us so many details and tips.

The roofs of t-top MR2's are always ripely like that. It's from the chassis flex (or lack of?). Don't be surprised when ripples/hail dents magically show up on the roof section behind the t-tops.

Aaron

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Aaron I'll keep posting pics as I go. The roof def had some waves in it. I looked across it while the primer was still wet and I think I got them handled but like you said cars with out solid roofs are more prone to flex and create waves. I didn't want to prime the whole car but the more paint damage and dings I find it looks like that's the way it's going. The trick is to work 1-2 panels at a time. It keep the project from becoming overwhelming and some how makes the work load feel less. My goal is/was to have the car ready or painting within 3 weeks of starting . This is the beginning of week 2 so I feel like its on track.

Aaron I sent you an email about a week ago. Just a few questions about this car and a few more about some mods.
Thanks for looking

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
got it on the frame machine today after work

a lil better pic of damage

welded a tab on the edge of the door jam. hooked the pulling post up and did some pulling

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
used a stud gun and welded studs to the qtr in the low spots and pulled them also used the frame machine to put a lil pressure on the door jam area to help take pressure off the dent

starting to get somewhere

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
alot better

this pic show the door jamb area is pretty close. still got a lil work todo but its close. and MOST of the dent is out .i have a few spots that still need work but i had to leave work. i also need to cut/grind all the lil studs off

·
Registered
100 Posts
Me too. Watching it slowly get back to better than it was before is mesmerizing. I really like the way the dent is being pulled out. Probably normal, but very clever (to me).

With the car taken apart and nitpicked, it looks so bad. Maybe I just tried not to notice the imperfections so much.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
WOW!! I thought that 1/4 panel was scrap metal. If my MKII ever gets wrecked can I ship it to you for repair?

I got your e-mail this time.

Aaron

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
ATSAaron said:
WOW!! I thought that 1/4 panel was scrap metal. If my MKII ever gets wrecked can I ship it to you for repair?

I got your e-mail this time.

Aaron
Lol yea Aaron you ever wreck it on only 6-7 hours away haha

Thanks for all the "wows" guys means alot.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
this is the sanding block i mentioned earlier

here you can see the tires rub in the rear. i bent it up a lil to help for the week i drove it before i started the work.i cut relief slits in the lip to allow it to lay flat when i roll it up

folded/rolled ... using a hammer and dolly i gently hit the lip till it was folded up nicely

done with the rolling. im going to sand/seal/undercoat this and call it done. the tires shouldnt be close now

21 - 40 of 164 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.