MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

This is a USDM Gen2 3SGTE

I've been trying to track down what I think is a vacuum/boost leak. I tried pressurizing the system at the turbo inlet and listening for leaks (I capped off the line from the IACV as well as the valve cover breather). I think I hear something from around the intake manifold, but can't pinpoint it. All lines look and feel good. Spraying with soapy water is unrevealing.

I next tried using a smoke tester to try and visualize the potential leak. I see smoke coming from the undersurface of EGR valve itself i.e. from the holes on the undersurface - NOT from where it mounts to the IM nor the tube the goes to the head - although this has soot on it but no obvious crack

Is this normal? I tried to read old threads/bgb/etc to see if this is normal or abnormal occurrence while the engine is off but found mixed info. I know there is a testing procedure but it seems the car has to be running to test. I'll have to button a few things up before starting the car again. If this means the EGR valve is bad, would it cause symptoms of a vacuum leak?

Also interestingly, I have smoke coming out from the distributor cap vents. I'm trying to think about what that means... is that normal or indicate that the internal (or external - though this is new) seal is shot, and bad enough to allow smoke to trickle past?

Thanks!

·
91t gen5
6,605 Posts
Yeah the crankcase is pressurized when you do a boost leak test so it's just smoke getting past the oil seals nothing to worry about from a boost leak standpoint.

You are probably leaking from the injectors or TVIS seals, check out this thread on replacing the seals so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah the crankcase is pressurized when you do a boost leak test so it's just smoke getting past the oil seals nothing to worry about from a boost leak standpoint.

You are probably leaking from the injectors or TVIS seals, check out this thread on replacing the seals so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
Just to be clear, when doing the smoke test, it’s is under minimal pressure (<1psi). Does that change the result w regards to the EGR or distributor? In other words, does this indicate a tear in the diaphragm or something like that? For some reason, I have some suspicion of the EGR being faulty although the car did pass CA emissions not too long ago.

I’ve thought about the TVIS seals or injectors so was hoping the smoke would help pinpoint if that where the case

·
91t gen5
6,605 Posts
I'm sorry I don't know how to answer your EGR question, I removed it shortly after I got my car. Can you used a mityvac or similar tool to pull a vacuum on just the EGR diaphragm?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like the EGR vacuum diaphragm is blown. I would get egr block of plates and get rid of EGR. Not sure about distributor, besides rubber o-ring maybe there are some other seals on the shaft that might wear out?

·
91t gen5
6,605 Posts
Sounds like the EGR vacuum diaphragm is blown. I would get egr block of plates and get rid of EGR. Not sure about distributor, besides rubber o-ring maybe there are some other seals on the shaft that might wear out?
That wouldn't work if he wants to pass emissions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts