MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm not talking about wheels. I'd like to buy 15's, but 17's are easier for a lot of reasons, but I might settle for 16's or staggered 15/16 or 16/17. The problem I'm having is tire choice. If I go with 15's then I can't get a 'wide' 245 in the rear. If I go with 17's then I have better tire choice, but I get slightly larger diameter tires than stock. 16's fit the bill, but don't have much tire choice in the compound/sidewall that I want.

I'm looking for a Falken RT-615 or max performance class of tire. Actually, I'd like slightly softer tires in front and maybe settle for wider ultra high performance tires in the rear.

All of the 35 series 17's and 40 series 16's are too hard, and the 45 series 15's are WAY too soft. Where are the Goldilocks wheels and tires? :p

The reason that I'm concerned about this is gear ratio and ride height. A 23.5 inch tire makes the car sit an inch lower than a 25.5 inch tire.

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
how bout 205/45 16 fronts and 245/35 17 rear?

edit: sorry, I didn't read your question well enough. nevermind.

basically, you want a 215/45 16 and 245/40 16, but they don't exist, afaik.

·
Registered
322 Posts
aspera said:
First, I'm not talking about wheels. I'd like to buy 15's, but 17's are easier for a lot of reasons, but I might settle for 16's or staggered 15/16 or 16/17. The problem I'm having is tire choice. If I go with 15's then I can't get a 'wide' 245 in the rear. If I go with 17's then I have better tire choice, but I get slightly larger diameter tires than stock. 16's fit the bill, but don't have much tire choice in the compound/sidewall that I want.

I'm looking for a Falken RT-615 or max performance class of tire. Actually, I'd like slightly softer tires in front and maybe settle for wider ultra high performance tires in the rear.

All of the 35 series 17's and 40 series 16's are too hard, and the 45 series 15's are WAY too soft. Where are the Goldilocks wheels and tires? :p

The reason that I'm concerned about this is gear ratio and ride height. A 23.5 inch tire makes the car sit an inch lower than a 25.5 inch tire.
Bro I'm going through the same dilema right now. I'm building the car for moderate track use, and shooting for around 250whp. I really want to go with the Kosei K1's in 16x(7.5F, 8.5R), but tire choices are not at a premium.

El Paalo has been helping me with size options, I'm feelin the 225/45 and 245/45's, but others have commented that the side wall is slighly lower than Grave Diggers sidewalls.

Dropping down to a 40 series tire, I've only found a match in 205 and 225 for a 16" rim, but I don't think that is enough contact patch for the upgraded HP.

Man o' man.

·
Registered
322 Posts
trahsub said:
Bro I'm going through the same dilema right now. I'm building the car for moderate track use, and shooting for around 250whp. I really want to go with the Kosei K1's in 16x(7.5F, 8.5R), but tire choices are not at a premium.

El Paalo has been helping me with size options, I'm feelin the 225/45 and 245/45's, but others have commented that the side wall is slighly lower than Grave Diggers sidewalls.

Dropping down to a 40 series tire, I've only found a match in 205 and 225 for a 16" rim, but I don't think that is enough contact patch for the upgraded HP.

Man o' man.
Edit: How far can you drop a 2 on 16" rims and 45 series rubber?

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
here's 245's on 16x8.5 kosei on Jarod's car (dropped on tein ss or flex):

roll your fenders and you're fine as far as dropping.

here are 225/45 16, iirc on the front:

looks a little odd overall because the rear wheels are tucked in 15mm more than the front.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm still not feeling the 245/45/16. eww. :)

I think that the best compromise is the toyot T1-S or T1-R in a 245/35/17 for the rear, and 215/40/17 front

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for suggesting the 245/35-17 T1-R.

As far as rolling the fenders go, I saw an unusual picture on some Japanese guy's website where the guy put towels over the outer edge of the tire and lowered the car down on the towel-covered tire using a jack. Ever heard of this?

·
Registered
322 Posts
aspera said:
Thanks for suggesting the 245/35-17 T1-R.

As far as rolling the fenders go, I saw an unusual picture on some Japanese guy's website where the guy put towels over the outer edge of the tire and lowered the car down on the towel-covered tire using a jack. Ever heard of this?
Woah, that does not sound precise at all, I wouldn'y recommend it.

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
sounds about as precise as the baseball bat method .......... lots of intersting home "remedies" for fender lips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts