MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has had very sloppy, loose steering for quite some time. Even when the car was fully stock. Since then I have replaced every bushing with Energy Suspension replacements, ball joints and tie-rod ends (genuine Toyota), Strut inserts (KYB AGX), springs (H&R), and sway bars (Suspension Techniques). I had begun to beleive that this was maybe just how the cars are until I drove another one. The steering felt firm, precise and smooth. Mine is far from it. When going from our STi to my Mr2 I feel very disappointed from this stand-point. I know it can be much better. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Can anyone help me in diagnosing the this. Any sugestions. Am I overlooking something. Could it be the complete rack-and-pinion or something else. Has anyone else had to replace the rack to correct sloppy, loose steering.....Please help

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: sloppy steering

does anyone else have any suggestions for me...Anything is appreciated

·
Registered
125 Posts
bump cuz i got the same problem. when turning left or right from going straight, the car feels like it doesnt respond until turning the wheel about 30-40 degrees.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly...Have any idea what could be causing the delay... I've replaces all bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends. It seems to me that the rack is all that is left, but I want to be fairly sure before I drop $700 on a toyota rack and pinion....

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
wiggle your steering wheel from side to side in very small amounts ~1 inch and look at your front wheels for movement. If you have to move your steering wheel quite a bit to see movement in the front wheels, then it's the steering rack. Otherwise, steering response could be from blown shocks, under-inflated tires or terrible alignment. If you have a manual rack, it's going to seem less responsive than a power steering unit because of the slower ratio.. but when you're going at speed, you'll appreciate the extra feedback from the manual rack. More important than front are the rear shocks for steering response because of where the most of the weight is in the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts