MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
I am not interested in a sliding rear window but I do want to find a rear window that does not have the defroster wires imbedded in the glass. I need to find a 1980's Toyota pickup and measure the dimensions of the rear window.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I think a sliding glass window in the back would be unique. Wouldn't make out the image of a Mk1, but would still be different.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Ron said:
I am not interested in a sliding rear window but I do want to find a rear window that does not have the defroster wires imbedded in the glass. I need to find a 1980's Toyota pickup and measure the dimensions of the rear window.

Me too, that would be nice. The defroster lines cannot be removed. Do autoglass places have an option if you need another rear window of getting one w/o the defroster lines? Or, do they only have ones with defroster lines?

They say that JC Whitney piece fits an MR2??!! Are you kidding me??!! Anyway, those bulky latches in the middle wouldn't look right at all on a MR2, IMO. An electric one that slid down in front of the firewall would be nice, but that would be difficult to do.

Todd

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I know of many 'custom' autoglass companies. They might be able to measure and find a perfect fit. You should look into getting a windoe regulator and a motor so it slides down and out of sight, like some 4runners!

This would be a neat mod. Get a custom button to go next to the ebrak and just press it when you ewant air flow! When I have money, oooohweee!

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I would only get one if it has the gun rack option. :thumbup

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
I just bought a peice of Lexan and cut it to shape and installed it. You not only loose the defroster lines, but shed a few pounds at the same time (not very many though, as the stock glass is not heavy at all, maybe 5-6 lbs). Cost was only about $25 bucks for material.

I drove for a few days with the glass out (and T-Tops off) and airflow was much smoother in the cabin (less air bouncing around), but the darn sound from the Cusco pulley/SC was horrendous! It was much louder than I thought without glass. I am referencing to sound levels from my old Camaro with headers dumping directly to 3 inch mufflers. I mean the sound was LOUD. Enough to hurt my ears at redline. The biggest problem is probalby related to the fact that my foot was in the floor all the time. Maybe an NA MR2 would be a lot quieter.

The lexan was not much louder than the glass after it was installed.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Yes, but doesn't lexan scratch really really easily? Also, for people who have car inspections, I'm sure that would not pass.

Todd
87sc

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ron said:
I find this quite funny as I had listed a rear window without defrost atleast 10 times on ebay and nobody would even bid a dollar on it, I might still have it but I am not sure, will have to check.

on a side note, I know on the fiero when somebody did this they said that the air circulated off the spoiler and pushed a lot of the engine heat into the car, I dont know if our spoiler would do that or not as it is a different shape, I would also wonder about heat while in traffic.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
In my case, I would be afraid to purchase a window because of the potential for breakage during shipping. It is a pretty long piece of glass. I remember Kbox mentioning in a thread that he tried to remove the defroster wiring from the rear window.

·
Registered
487 Posts
plexiglass scatches easily, lexan is the stuff headlight and taillight covers are made of, much harder and makes a protective film when melted like a glaze.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
phreakboy45 said:
I find this quite funny as I had listed a rear window without defrost atleast 10 times on ebay and nobody would even bid a dollar on it, I might still have it but I am not sure, will have to check.

on a side note, I know on the fiero when somebody did this they said that the air circulated off the spoiler and pushed a lot of the engine heat into the car, I dont know if our spoiler would do that or not as it is a different shape, I would also wonder about heat while in traffic.

Really, didnt' see that. Were did you get that glass w/o the defrost lines?

Thanks,
Todd
87sc

·
Registered
487 Posts
the fiero airflow is different from what i know. adding an air diffuser above the rear window (essentially same as the visor on the AW11) is said to make a huge difference on the fiero because apparently the fiero rear glass heats up so much that it can't be touched..
if that is indeed true, then there would surely mean the airflow is different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts