MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am having troubble with my newly baught Mk1. It ran great wheni baught it but it started smoking hardcore just after startup a day after my buddie and i painted the valve cover. Here is the link to my old post:

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=154313

My question is for all of you who have rebuilt the 4a-ge. For the money and work time is it worth it to rebuild it or should i just go for a supercharger motor or 20v? My ideal view of this car is a daily driver and track car. I already have the power i need in my mk2.

P.S. If anyone is gonna be near or around Tri-Cities Washington during the dates of March 11 - March 19 and would want to stop by to help diagnose my smoking problem??? or help me rebuild!!! let me know

Thanks all

Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sounds to me like you are experiencing worn (bad) valve seals. I had an 86 NA that experienced the same symptoms as you describe. The inexpensive fix would be to remove the old seals and place new ones in (obviously). I can not help you much with your decision on the which way to go for a rebuild (if you wish to proceed in that direction), but I will say that I currently own a 93T (and love it), but I do miss the sound and feel of my old 86! Enjoy it!

Chris

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Going to SC will require a full conversion including ECU, AFM, igniter, coil, every engine accessory excluding water pump... you get the idea. Unless you know of a full donor car, you'd better stay NA for ease.

20V is a little more feasible, but again, electronics come into play to an extent as well as replacement parts not being directly available stateside.

Figure out what's wrong with your engine before having to backpedal from a bad decision. Consider rebuilding it or replacing it with another 16v NA first.

·
Finally running!!
1,125 Posts
are there writeups for things like this or a shoppers list I'm highly considering jumping into the mk1 world due to the fact my mk2 build is coming to it's end shortly enough.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the posts guys, so anyone else vote for valve seals. Know of a place i could buy them intead of overpaying at my local toyota shop???

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone know of a place i could get a guide to do this, anyone know of somone with a guide to this on their website? thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts