MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just recently bought and installed Silversprint's Powertrix coilovers for the MKII, and I have to say I'm nothing but impressed so far.

My previous set up was Koni Yellows and Tein springs, which was good enough to tool around in, but I wasnt too happy with the springs, and when it came time to upgrade, I couldn't pass up these coilovers.

My experience with Silversprint was nothing but satisfying, he was friendly, answered all my questions in a timely manner, and when it came time to order, I never had to question the validity of the order. Lots of communication and very very fast.

I've had the coilovers installed for just about a week now and just recently got the car aligned with more aggressive camber. The ride quality is awesome, virtually no body roll, and I can "feel" the car a lot more now than with the Konis. I drive my MR2 on a daily basis, and I know I'll be satisfied with the performance of city driving, mountain driving, and AutoX once I get the settings right.

The install was a breeze, no problems on the coilover side, they popped right in and with some adjusting the factory parts on my car had no problem reaching the significantly smaller coilovers. Ride height adjustment is super easy to do, and from the Tein springs, my car is lowered about an additional .5" (~2.5" drop from stock, with about another inch of available drop)

Side by side rear:

Side by side front:

Back ended up 1/2" lower than my Teins:

Exhaust is getting lower and lower.... :

·
Registered
356 Posts
Topo said:
So I just recently bought and installed Silversprint's Powertrix coilovers for the MKII, and I have to say I'm nothing but impressed so far.

My previous set up was Koni Yellows and Tein springs, which was good enough to tool around in, but I wasnt too happy with the springs, and when it came time to upgrade, I couldn't pass up these coilovers.

My experience with Silversprint was nothing but satisfying, he was friendly, answered all my questions in a timely manner, and when it came time to order, I never had to question the validity of the order. Lots of communication and very very fast.

I've had the coilovers installed for just about a week now and just recently got the car aligned with more aggressive camber. The ride quality is awesome, virtually no body roll, and I can "feel" the car a lot more now than with the Konis. I drive my MR2 on a daily basis, and I know I'll be satisfied with the performance of city driving, mountain driving, and AutoX once I get the settings right.

The install was a breeze, no problems on the coilover side, they popped right in and with some adjusting the factory parts on my car had no problem reaching the significantly smaller coilovers. Ride height adjustment is super easy to do, and from the Tein springs, my car is lowered about an additional .5" (~2.5" drop from stock, with about another inch of available drop)

Side by side rear:

Side by side front:

Back ended up 1/2" lower than my Teins:

Exhaust is getting lower and lower.... :
What are your thoughts after 3months of use?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the late replies!!

After 4+ months of riding, I still love the coilovers.

I, personally am upping my spring rates for AutoX, because the courses in Colorado are a little bumpy and I rub under heavy load, and I don't want to raise the car up.

The ride quality is still great, and I've had no problems with them whatsoever.

The setup costs about $1300 IIRC.

Silversprint would be the man to PM about them.

I also just got word that the camber plates are finishing production, and I'll add more once I get those installed.

Any more questions feel free to ask here or PM me, and I'll be happy to answer them

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After about a year on these coilovers (now with camber plates), I can say more.

I have had zero problems to date, and I've had them pulled out and apart a hand full of times.

Currently, I'm getting ready to once again and pull them apart to swap in stiffer springs which I've been holding on to for FAR too long.

I'm racing less Autocross, and using the MR2 for a warm weather daily driver, and I have to say that I love these coilovers.

Same offer is always standing. Any questions/concerns/comments, feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks!
Quinn

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hey man, I'm moving to CO in a few months. How's the weather and roads there? I just recently purchase a stock 93 mr2 non turbo. Will be looking to do some suspension work soon. Have you driven on any other coilovers/shocks besides those and the koni's ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The weather in CO is fairly unpredictable, but hardly ever bad enough that I can't drive my MR2 (with appropriate tires of course).

Depending on which part of the state you'll be living in, I would say 90% percent of the roads are drivable in a lowered car. The more west you are, the more chances of mountain dirt roads, and the more east you go, the more you will find dirt roads leading to farms and the like.

I have only ever owned the stock suspension, my koni setup and the current coilovers.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nice, im actually looking for a place right now. somewhere around the Denver area, aurora,arvada, something like that. im not sure what the nice areas are yet.

Hows the car scene ? any tracks? events that go on ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
North aurora is nice, Denver is good but busy.

We have Bandimere Speedway, the drag strip, High Plains Raceway, a circuit and a dirt circle track. On top of that Colorado has a very active SCCA autocross following.

Lots of modified cars around, usually Hondas, subbies and the like, but that's normal

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checking in again

Another year on the Powertrix and still loving them.

The only problem I've had was due to my own stupidity, when I reassembled the coilovers incorrectly installing the camber plates.

Once I got them back together the *correct* way, the car drives like a dream.

Still giving my full support into these coilovers.

Any questions/concerns/comments, let me know as always!

Quinn

·
SW20 Gets Girls
4,916 Posts
What spring rates were you on and what did you switch to?

Do they come with camber plates by default currently?

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
What spring rates were you on and what did you switch to?

Do they come with camber plates by default currently?
Spring rates they come with are 4/8. Custom rates can be ordered but if the shocks need revalving then there is a longer wait time.

Yes there are camber plates on the front.

if you need additional info just drop me a PM.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
I noticed the coils for the Z had clips/bracket that hold the brake lines. Is this true for the MR2 version as well?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts