MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
during this past summer, i had a leak of transmission fluid that required a seal being replaced within or beside the transmission.

the problem then solved. now tonight, about 5 to 6 months later, i find a river of "milky coffee" running in a THICK and RICH river from beneath my engine. im out there in this god awful new england weather just moments ago this evening, and remember in my head the old problem. i reach my hand to touch the bottom of my transmission, lo and behold, same exact problem.
the leak has returned.

i love this machine. but it is much like my first love, a sadistic bitch whose cruelty i had a strange addiction to.

this is hard, is there anyone who might be able to explain this to me?

now is the winter, of our discontent - shakespear (must have been an mr2 fan)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
cheer up buttercup :p

If you love her, all will prevail. I've spent over 8 grand on my car alone in MECHANICAL ISSUES alone over the course of the 3 years i've had my car. And thats not including all the funds spent on the fun parts.. The first 2 years i owned my car, she didn't run. I wanted to sell her so bad so many times, especially when my engine crapped out on me for a second time! but looking back on it now, almost close to having her "complete" it was worth the struggle. I joke saying I should have bought an rx-7 as my first car since i'd of most likley delt with the same mechanical issues anyway. (toyota reliability.. riiight)

When it rains it pours, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Fight the good fight! :thumbup

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Too bad, not everyone gets such a close to mint, reliable MR2T for $4,500 like me. Such a shame, I feel for you. Too bad, Gan. Too bad.

:) Just busting your balls, the thing that is bugging me right now is that Damn CD player! I hate that thing, F' You CD player! F' You!!

Okay, joking aside. You have to expect our cars to have problems sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Cacaman said:
Okay, joking aside. You have to expect our cars to have problems sooner or later.
one can only hope :evillaugh

:angel:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yarp

thanks alot guys, i feel a bit better :)

i really do love this car, been a dream machine of mine ever since i saw it in a magazine cover back in 1989.

i found that the problem is not transmission fluid. on the way to new york yesterday morning, my oil light came on, i check the stick and it was bone dry, dry as if i never even dipped it in after cleaning it.

luckily i had a bottle and a half in the trunk. one was 40 and one was 30.
i just poured them in to last me till the trip edned. but one hour later, i pull over and check, and it was dry again! o.o

i felt the nipple (haha) for draining the oil, it isnt turnable, its as tight as i made it when i last changed my oil.
my oil filter is also tight. i called my parts guy, mr2guru (harry) and he says maybe it could be the oil cooler line or something like that.
he also said the oil pans are notorious for leaking. but this would be my first time.

i hear jeff has the same problem with his new white na?
hopefully tomorrow when i see derek in the afternoon for my bumper, we will be able to look under and see some sort of obvious reason for this.

my only other serious problem. which has urked me from the day i got this car.
is my steering.

ARRRGH STEERING *pants*

she vibrates severely at speeds above 60. and the car randomly tugs to either side, as if there is "too much play in the steering".
i take it to get aligned, pay 60 bucks. the guy says the rear wheels were a little out of alignment and the front wheels were awful.

but when i go drive it afterwards, the problem was worse! she tugged more than before. i told the mech, and he says "oh thats because of uneven tire wear, you need new tires"

i SERIOUSLY doubt tire ware can cause extraordinary veering while im creeping up to the red light. i dont think it can cause these symptoms either. but hey what do i know.

P.S. dougy why not just send harry the 30 bucks for a new cd player that doesnt act kooky? o_O

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Hey Gan,

Check your balljoints. If the boots are torn or they just look terrible, they may need to be replaced. They are fairly cheap; $25 each or so. After each alignment job, you should get a specs sheet of all the angles and such.

As for the oil leak, are you sure the engine isn't eating all of it? Do you have massive oil stains under your car?

Can you give me Harry's info? Just e-mail me at [email protected] if you have don't want to post it up here.

Hope you find a solution,
DOug

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yarp

you really think ball joints could be the cause?
i know they are cheap, but having them installed last time i must have been robbed or something. is there a way to install them myself?
or maybe i should have derek do it since he is a way better choice than the guy down the street?
obviously since he is an mr2 guy on the board, and owns one himself, he will know better :p
im going to him for anything that needs real life hands on attention from now on. since harry is in north carolina.

miss you mate, when are you coming back up here?

-gan

·
Registered
547 Posts
have you checked your tierods? i had the same shimmy/vibrating/veering problem after my crash.. and it turned out to be a severly bent tierod. lift the car up, and grab hold of the wheel at 9:00 and 3:00 and push/pull on either side. if you can move it a little bit [obviously not TURNING the wheel].. but if there is play.. then you should look into replacing either the outer or inner tierod... chances are good its the outer. ... if you dont get discount at a dealership.. twosRus carries new tierod ends and balljoints.....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Gan - hang in there man! I'm replacing the rear bearings on my car this winter and I'm running into one problem after another! If you need some help with suspension stuff, I might be able to help you out on that - engines are another matter though...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yarp

not familiar with tie rods, nor do i have the resources to lift my car without giving 200 bucks to a greedy crook neighborhood mechanic.
this is all alien to me. even if its the ball joints ill most likely be torn apart by it given my current financial situation. but i for surely do hope its merely the ball joints, since then i might have an actual idea of whats going on down there and how it happens and why and how its fixed. even though im not the one who could do the fixing.
i have a phillips screwdriver, and a driveway :p

man this is hard >.<

winter! omg winter! im a trawpikull animal dammit. this summer better be jam packed with strawberry sweet joyriding goodness, or im gonna have a titty attack. thanks very much for the offer blacky, it means alot to me :)

im sorry for seeming blue guys, but frankly my mr2 isnt the only thing in my world right now thats acting up. frankly out of all my problems, the mr2 is the most efficient and relyable.
but trust me, when the sun FINALLY starts shining warm again, ill defanately have more cheer to spread once again.

see you tomorrow night derek. im really greatful for this

-gan

"once they thought themselves fast,
and then the man in the darkness,
came screaming out of the shadows,
taking with him their eyes and their ears,
and they trembled at his laughter,
as he burned those horrid horrid numbers into the asphault,
and no sooner had they noticed him, that he was gone.
once they thought themselves fast... but no more"

-Rage Racer

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yarp

thats awsome, does the garage have a lift?

i got home from dereks workplace at about 12:30am.
super slow drive home in sleet and yuck.

but he did the most amazing job with the bumper.
you walk in and the damn thing looks like a freakin lamborghini part :p

this guys good. its kinda creepy.
thanks a whole lot derek, i am very greatful, and cant wait for weather to clear up so i can show you some maximum tune!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
jus so u no maximum tune isnt in the natick mall anymore :( they took out the hole arcard a few months ago, good to here u fixed ur car ill try to drive by today to see it :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts