MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the stock mirrors weigh?

What options (lighter) are out there?

·
Registered
449 Posts
hey Jeff,

did you check out the bomex. I am not 100% sure on the weight, but they offer power & manual. However they're overall surface area is smaller than the OEMs, which is never really a negative. If I remember correctly they're made out of Fiberglass.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Pretend you're in India and take them off.

Remember, as long as you're faster, you don't have to worry what's behind you.

...karl, who _still_ thinks the biggest weight reduction is removing Jeff :)

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey karl! ... I'm only 170 lbs geeze. :p
Anyway, some of the racing venues I do require side mirrors.

Kappa, I'll check them out. Thanks.

P

·
0 Posts
from removing the side mirrors off many a parts car, they weigh somewhere around 5-7 pounds each. dont have a scale, but i do have 3 mirrors that i'll be sending out in the next few days, i can see what the post office says they weigh in the box if that would give you a better idea.

the bomex mirrors are much lighter, they weigh almost nothing, but im not a fan of the look of them.

tyler

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tyler ... if the Bomex are what I think they are, I agree about the look.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
According to my scale one powered mirror weighs 48.2 ounces/3.01 pounds bringing the total for two powered mirrors to 96.4 ounces/6.02 pounds. Hope this helps.
-Ryan

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow Ryan .... only 6 lbs. :(
I figured with all the electrical junk and motors in there that it would be more significant.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Jeff...

I don't know about PA, but in NY only the drivers side is required. So technically you could completely eliminate the pass, If you wanted to. I also remember seeing a pic of an mr2 (I think it was gold), It used mirrors from a motorcycle, they were tiny, and I'm sure someone sells a light weight version. It kinda looked funny, but not awful. (the mirrors anyway) Ill see if i can dig up the pic.

Nick
(Beckdgc)

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, but I do not think I am going to knock myself out over 6 lbs :(
... of course there is less drag with making the mirrors smaller, but I think I rather retain the stock look.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
hey jeff, when i sent you those manual window parts the other day i also took out the mirrors from those doors. they are the non-power mirrors. i also have a set of power mirrors. keep in mind by switching to non-powered mirrors (like the carbon fiber ones everyone is recommending) you are saving weight from the mirror itself PLUS the wiring harness(s). i can weigh each (power and non-power) to give you an exact amount....i'll email you with the results.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I was really up in the air about actually doing mirrors.
Yesterday I got an awesome package from flynhighaf23 with a complete manual window set up for Hyde. I noticed that the door panels do not even have a switch plate! ... so no power mirros.

So I bit the bullet and ordered these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7952694869

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Wasn't there a thread on this style mirror somewhere about how they vibrate at speeds of 45+... makin' it hard to see stuff in'em or somethin?

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol ... I'll guess I will find out, but above 45 I do not need to be looking behind myself anyway :headbang:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I`m concerned that they will come loose and not be at the right angle after a few trips due to price/quality???

I`m curious.

Does anyone have pics of what it looks like with the stock mirrors removed?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts