MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 cars that I can buy, one NA and one a turbo. Both are dirt cheap but the NA is more mechanically sound. Now I have a daily driver so that's not an issue, I'm just afraid that after all the repairing of the Turbo, I might as well do a swap. I also understand that the turbo motor isn't nearly as reliable as the NA so at 160k it'll probably need a rebuild on top of all that. How easy is the swap? Can I use the NA tranny with a turbo motor?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
the turbo motor is just as reliable. theres a bunch of turbo owners whove surpassed 200K on the 3sgte. you need to research more.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
When neglected the turbos are less reliable, but they are very, very reliable if taken care of.
Drive both, the N/A has it's merits, but the 5S-FE is not performance oriented in any way and many people find it boring.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
you would need the turbo tranny however if you are doing a swap a lot more than just an engine and turbo is involved. You would be best off with a rear clip so you get the wiring, ecu, axles, tranny, intercooler, ect......

The turbo is just as reliable when cared for. You may want to chart out expenses if the turbo you are looking at needs a great deal of maintenance just swapping the NA might be cheaper and you could get an lsd setup that way if it's not a 93 model turbo (or a jdm lsd swap already). The turbo has a larger brake setup as well stock.

If you can do it a compression test would be a good thing on both cars.

good luck whichever you choose.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Insurance is a bit cheaper on the N/A too. So if you swap you'll be insuring an N/A as far as insurance is concerned.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
na motors are really built for turbos correct? the internals on a 3sgte are made to support a turbo aplication so parts are "beefier" where as a NA motor is slimply that, naturally aspired. Save yourself from time and frustration and go with the turbo, that is if you plan on swapping.

·
Registered
195 Posts
pilsner said:
na motors are really built for turbos correct?
Incorrect. The internals are setup diffrent. Generally, the N/A motors have higher compression pistons. Turbo/supercharged motors typically come with lower compression pistons because the forced induction creates more compression. I learned this the hard way. I turboed an 11:1 compression motor and it didn't like that very much. I'm not sure what the compression diffrences are between the N/A and Turbo MR2 but there ar about 500 people on here that can tell you off the top of their head. There may be some other diffrences that i'm not thinking of right now.

Jdes: What are the body conditions of these two cars?

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
jjcnsx said:
isnt it true that 3SGTE produce a lot more heat from turbo; hence, reduce the life of hoses?
Nope! When I sold my '91T, it was 12 years old, and every hose was original. Actually, virtually everything was original. Other than the standard things like tires and batteries, I never replaced much of anything.

I replaced the original plugs, wires, cap and rotot at 53K. The only thing that ever "broke" was the engine lid prop rod clip. ~$2.00 from the dealership, and its the same one the N/A uses.

At normal driving speeds, the engine compartment temp is ~ 25 deg F above ambient. That means on a 75 F day, the engine compartment is ~ 100F.

bill

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
stop wasting time! get a turbo, if you're worried about the engine buy a gen 3 clip and find a broken down mr2 for dirt cheap and swap.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
mr2warehouse.com offers cars on xcars.com and says usually 2000for a car plus 3500 for a gen3 clip plus i think 500or 1000 for install so you pay 6-7k for a low miles gen 3 that has 245hp stock.....i was gonna do it till i found the two of my dreams, now i find out it has some problems :( oh well i love it anyways. i had an n/a 88 mk1 mr2 and definetly wanted the sc, u will get the same way, just skip a step and get the turbo

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
or go with a GEN II clip, pay half as much as the GEN III, spend that on getting it ready for more advanced work, or pocket it.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Or just wait till you find a beeter car that doesn't need a lot of work or an engine swap! That'll be probably the least expensive route...not to mention a lot less hassle and potential for excrutiating headaches :)

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
mellamoben said:
Insurance is a bit cheaper on the N/A too. So if you swap you'll be insuring an N/A as far as insurance is concerned.
Up here in Canada some insurance companies like to refuse claims and drop policies on cars that are modified and not disclosed...check your fine print re: modifications. And some will drop you if you do disclose it! Anything that indicates that a driver or vehicle might be used in a more accident prone manner seems to make them nervous. I'm curious if this practice exists in the US as well.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
SinCityMR2 said:
Get the N/A and do a turbo swap. Everytime you register and insure your car they will think it's an N/A so it will be cheaper.
you know the insurance difference for me was around 50$ for 6 months
when I looked at the option. which is not worth the fact they book higher for a turbo, my insurance uses market value to determine adjustment. You are better off with a turbo vin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts