MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a manufacturer of a metal (black powder-coated, preferably) shifter gate that would replace the leather boot around the shifter? This is similar to those found on Ferarri's, Maserati's, Lamborghini's, etc. My leather boot is shot and I'd rather not replace it with another leather one. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
it wouldn't be too hard to make one if you had the dimensions and the pattern of the shift gate. Just rent a plasma cutter. :smile:

In all honestly I wanted to do the same a few years ago but I never followed up on it. Also, my shifter linkage remount sits too high to be able to do that anyway. But I think it would look really cool if it was done well. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
its not as easy as you think. the oem shifter doesnt have a wide enough path to be able to just cut a gate for it. you would need the plate and a custom shifter to match for it.

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
mr2blubyu said:
it wouldn't be too hard to make one if you had the dimensions and the pattern of the shift gate. Just rent a plasma cutter. :smile:
plasma cutters are good for some things, but making things look pretty is definetly not one of them. Definetly not the tool for something like this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
gldndrgn14 said:
its not as easy as you think. the oem shifter doesnt have a wide enough path to be able to just cut a gate for it. you would need the plate and a custom shifter to match for it.
He speaks truth...a stock unmodified shifter has too much overlap between the shifting 'paths' to have distinct slots...try taking off your boot and making a paper one, it's harder than you think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts