MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my ailing ?91 MR2T back up and running ? it had been suffering from a leak in the intake tract due to a torn intercooler piping coupling. A local fellow MR2 owner and MR2oc.com member ? flyboy ? found the problem by pressurizing my intake. He also noted that I had a slight leak through my EGR system emanating from the actual valve actuator.

While replacing the bad IC coupling fixed my severe driveability problems, I figured I might as well ditch the EGR system as well if it was leaking a little. My car doesn?t have any catalytic converters, so it?s a far cry for emissions legal anyway.

I would benefit from a cleaner looking engine bay, maybe get a cooler intake charge at part throttle operation, and save some weight too.

I picked up a EGR block-off plate kit from Shem?s Garage after contacting a couple local machine shops and finding out that the cost of a one-off job for a couple of plates was more than Shem?s kit sells for - $50 including shipping.

Plus, Shem?s plates are highly polished, and the kit includes the necessary replacement OEM gasket to the intake manifold, replacement stainless steel Allen head bolts, instructions, etc.

http://members.cox.net/shemsgarage/egr.html

This is the ?before? pic ?

And the ?after? ?

Nice, right? A lot less clutter, and a little shiny bling if you?re into that (but they don?t jump out at you if you?re not into a lot of flash).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So here?s my install of this EGR plate kit, and my review of the Shem?s Garage product. This is a really easy-to-install kit, and the parts and instructions are top notch. Just thought I?d share my experience with anyone looking to clean up the engine bay a bit and possibly improve performance a touch by eliminating hot gases from re-entering the intake charge via the EGR system.

This is what the kit looked like upon delivery from Shem?s. Well packaged and protected as you can see ? the plates were carefully wrapped in soft cushioning paper inside a Ziploc bag separate from the rest of the parts.

The plates themselves are like jewelry ? really high polish on the tops and sides, cleanly machined flat for a perfect seal on the bottoms. It?s a shame my engine compartment is so dirty and greasy ? I felt guilty putting such pretty new parts into a dirty home.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After giving the instructions a quick glance through ? pretty self explanatory, but thorough ? the pictures point out which vacuum lines to remove, and what the torque specs are for the bolts ? I was ready to perform the install.

This is where I put out the standard disclaimer ? don?t blame me if you follow my directions and something awful happens; I?m just trying to be helpful ? what you do to your own car is your responsibility.

1. First, I laid out an old sheet to protect the trunk and side of my MR2. I like to use the trunk lid as a work area, but I don?t like grease and scratches on my paint. I used a 12 mm socket and ratchet, a 3? extension, a 12 mm box wrench, a 6 mm Allen tool, and a pair of pliers and diagonal cutters.

2. I started by unplugging the electrical connector for the EGR VSV.

3. Then, I unplugged the vacuum line to the throttle body. This is the port that will be capped with the supplied vacuum cap later. (or, you can do it right away if you like)

4. I removed the single 12 mm bolt that attaches the EGR valve bracket from the intake manifold. You can put it back in, or leave it off ? it?s a blind hole, so it won?t cause a leak if you don?t put it back.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5. After that, I pulled the two 12 mm bolts to remove the cast EGR assembly from the side of the intake manifold. You?ll need that 3? socket extension to get to the lower bolt.

6. Use a 6 mm hex tool and remove the two bolts that secure the pipe to the head. You might need a cheater pipe on the Allen if the bolts are tight (mine were).

7. Once the EGR pipe bolts are out, the whole assembly should be ready to remove. I had to temporarily remove these two vacuum lines from the intake manifold in order to get clearance to get it out of the engine bay. They?re reconnected just like factory afterwards.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8. OK, now you?re ready to install the EGR plates. Save the metal gasket and re-use it for the plate to the head; there?s no need to replace it with a new one. I cleaned up the head a little before installing the plate. Slip the metal gasket under the EGR plate, and install with two of the supplied Allen head bolts and washers.

9. Bolt up the other plate to the side of the intake manifold, using the supplied new gasket under it and two new Allen head bolts/washers. I used a little Loc-Tite blue on the bolts to both plates. I didn?t have an Allen socket to use with a torque wrench, so I had to estimate those. The head gets more torque than the intake manifold.

10. You?re basically done, aside from blocking off the old vacuum port at the throttle body. The kit normally comes with either a gray or blue cap. Shem was kind enough to send both to me. I chose the blue one because it matches with my blue IC couplings really closely. I pulled the supplied zip-tie tight with a pair of pliers, and then cut it off with the dikes.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That?s it! Took me less than an hour, and I was working really slowly, taking pictures, and I stopped to talk to a buddy on the phone for five minutes too. Check ?em out . . .

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, now for you weight weenies out there . . . I even documented how much weight you?ll save.

The Shem?s Garage EGR plate kit and parts right around 130 grams, or 0.28 lb. (I left off the gasket, but I have both vacuum caps on the scale - you?ll only need one).

The OEM EGR stuff weighs exactly one kilogram, or 2.20 lb.

So, you?ll save almost two pounds (1.92) by ditching the OEM EGR equipment! I know, you non-weight weenies are already getting fired up to flame me for even bothering to post this information. But my fellow ?every ounce counts? peeps are all excited, I know.

I test drove the car afterwards, and I was totally stunned ? I?m getting a discernable increase in power; I?d estimate it at around 15-20 whp. The car feels stronger spooling towards boost between 2500 to 3500 rpm, and it pulls harder once the turbo is spooled too!

I?m totally kidding.

The car actually feels the same, but if I used my vivid imagination, I MIGHT think it was a touch faster. But my brain tells me it was probably just that ? my imagination.

Still, having the EGR system removed would theoretically reduce contamination of the intake charge at less than wide-open throttle ? I don?t see how it couldn?t help a little. I?m just not going to try to convince you that it?s a huge difference.

But I?m still totally stoked on this EGR block-off plate kit. I fully recommend it if you don?t feel the need to DIY everything on your car, and you like buying something from somebody who?s spent the time and energy to develop the parts and make sure it goes together easy as pie.

Personally, I?ve spent enough time dicking around with annoying DIY car projects, driving to and from Home Depot repeatedly, etc. that my time is worth way more than 20 bucks or so I might save by making my own EGR block-off plates ? and that?s if I had free access to a machine shop or CNC mill. Which I don?t.

Here?s the link the Shem?s Garage if you want ?em ?

http://members.cox.net/shemsgarage/egr.html

I?m going to go drink beer now. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
nice write-up :thumbup

maybe i should look into something like this. my EGR looks like it might have been repaired in the past... who knows.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
Hsun Chen said:
I would benefit from a cleaner looking engine bay, maybe get a cooler intake charge at part throttle operation, and save some weight too.
EGR is only active during cruise situations, there has been zero documentation that it'll give you better performance. in a race situation...how often is that person in cruise, so the egr plays no effect. The only way to get better performance is case like yours where you had a leak there.

don't mind me really, i'm just pointing out that a properly functioning egr vs. BOP's have no difference in performance.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boz said:
EGR is only active during cruise situations, there has been zero documentation that it'll give you better performance. in a race situation...how often is that person in cruise, so the egr plays no effect. The only way to get better performance is case like yours where you had a leak there.

don't mind me really, i'm just pointing out that a properly functioning egr vs. BOP's have no difference in performance.
Good point. But just to play devil's advocate, nobody's put forth any actual documentation that blocking off the EGR doesn't give marginally better performance in partial-throttle cruise scenarios, right?

As for me, I'm in cruise mode A LOT during street driving. In fact, I'm either beating the snot outta the car at WOT/full boost, or I'm driving at very low throttle position and fairly low rpm to minimize gas consumption/exhaust noise.

Since I like my license, I am cruising at minimal throttle/rpm a lot more than I'm at WOT/full boost.

Either way, we're in full agreement that the MAIN benefit of EGR block-off plates is that they make your engine compartment a little cleaner and prettier. :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Very nice product. I really like how it clears up the engine bay. Also just out of curiosity, what is the soda bottle for in your engine bay?

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
uofm0587 said:
Very nice product. I really like how it clears up the engine bay. Also just out of curiosity, what is the soda bottle for in your engine bay?
looks like a home made catch can (well catch bottle in this case ;)) at least that's what it looks like, angle cuts it off, but seeing as how dirty it looks, i'm sure it's working for him :thumbup

i really need to get off my lazy arse and install mine. i've had em since the summer and i've been using it as a shiney paperweight on my desk. haha

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
uofm0587 said:
Also just out of curiosity, what is the soda bottle for in your engine bay?
It's a 1-liter Aquafina water bottle coverted into a very crude catchcan. It has a K&N vent filter in the top/side of it to make it open to atmosphere.

Incidentally, it took some searching in the supermarket drink aisle to find a plastic bottle with a cap large enough to put the full-size hose from the valve cover through. :thumbup

I haven't gotten around to slapping a "Greddy" sticker on it to convert it into a "Greddy catch can." :p

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
nice wright up. ive wanted to get rid of the egr for a while now just to clean the engine compartment up. but seeing as i pass emissions legaly still ill wait till i cant till i remove it :)

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
looks really nice and thanks for the nice write up

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Actually EGR is supposed to help reduce detonation so if it makes a difference at all it will be in the negative direction.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts