MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok years ago a buddy of mine (who worked at a parts store) Would send wheels out to get the hub bored on a set of wheels. Like if tey orderred a +30, they'd send it out to get 5mm shaved off. How bad is that for the wheel? I'm assuming they'd do it to make it fit a certain vehicle. So how bad is it?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
ek9max said:
ok years ago a buddy of mine (who worked at a parts store) Would send wheels out to get the hub bored on a set of wheels. Like if tey orderred a +30, they'd send it out to get 5mm shaved off. How bad is that for the wheel? I'm assuming they'd do it to make it fit a certain vehicle. So how bad is it?
Well, if what you mean is making a +35mm into a +40mm by buzzing off 5mm I would be kinda skeptable. I thought about that actually. All I can say is it would have to be on the nuts flat.. If he can do that he must have quite the tools. Interesting thought though

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well they sent it out to a VERY reputable wheel shop that only do repairs/refinishes/etc for wheels. I've actually seen their work for wheel repairs. and it's amazing.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
ek9max said:
Well they sent it out to a VERY reputable wheel shop that only do repairs/refinishes/etc for wheels. I've actually seen their work for wheel repairs. and it's amazing.
I don't doubt it can't be done. If they say they can do it I'm sure they can... i would like to shave off 2mm on my +35mm 17 x 8..I don't like front flush rims

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yea I'm trying to get volks. But they only have 17x8 +30 in stock. and I don't feel like waiting 4 months. So I was thinking about shaving off 5-7mm. But I'm worried about the balance/integrety

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
ek9max said:
Yea I'm trying to get volks. But they only have 17x8 +30 in stock. and I don't feel like waiting 4 months. So I was thinking about shaving off 5-7mm. But I'm worried about the balance/integrety
Spending that kind of cash on wheels, I'd be worried too. Just looking out for ya.. Personally for that kind of money I'd get CCW's and you can get exactly what offsets you want... I have these on my RX-7, and there the best rims... about 2k for 17 x 9 and 17 x 10's...

www.ccwheel.com

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
it can be done, the lug hole ares ussually filled, then redrilled after the desired offset is achieved.

modifying the wheels like that will drastically cut down on the brake caliper clearance area though. i would test fit to make sure you have that much room to play with.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just know that 17x8 +35 volks would fit awesome, however +30 is past flush.... That's why I'm thinking of it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's possible...when I ordered my 5zigen rims, they machined my 17x9 +35 wheels to a +40 offset...I forgot how much they charged for this.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The difference is that NEW wheels have the back pad "shaved" (via lathe or mill) BEFORE the lug holes are drilled. This region of the wheel must have the correct cross-section (especially in a cast, rather than forged wheel) so the lug seat area has the appropriate strength.

If the lug holes are already drilled, 3mm (about 1/8") is all that can be safely shaved.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, the lug holes should be "filled and drilled" , then the backpad milled, then the PCD holes re-drilled... but I would NOT recommend this. Some shops say they can safely do this, but it is impossible to predict how the welding will affect the temper of the aluminum.

If you're having clearance issues, an offset change of 3mm may not fix your problem. How about using a narrower tire to make up the clearance difference?
A lot of the 'JDM VIP' guys do this on big-bodied cars... stretch the tires a bit, perhaps a 235/40-17...

For comparison, my MKI has 18x9 +38 on the rear- sticks out past the fender just a hair. I will stretch the fenders a little before repainting the car, but the 235/30-18 tire actually clears the fender!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts