MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, I've had my two for about three months, and I love it. The absolute greatest car I have ever driven, even if it isn't a turbo, which is a good thing in my opinion. I also have a Volvo V70R, which has a dying turbo (hence my bias for all motor) that my wife drives.
and now for the real reason for this thread. My goal is to create one of the fastest/powerful all motor MR2s there is. After reading as many threads as I have, it's obvious that the best starting point will be a 3sge. I've investigated the V6 swap option, and decided that that is not the route I wanted to travel, I'm not going to start spouting stupid reasons like weight or price, I just don't want to deal with it.
Anyone out there with the 3sge? on the registry I only saw one, and it didn't do that well compared to all the modded 5sfe engines. Also, if anyone has any good links that will help me(like a European MR2 board), I'd much appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
America missed out on most of the good normally aspirated 3S's. The only ones that are really worthwhile to swap in are the BEAMS VVT motors that made 200hp. There are a few around, but the motors are expensive, rare, and celica guys want them too.

What I would recommend doing is a V6 swap. I know you don't want to do that, but that's the only realistic option for a normally aspirated MR2, unless you are bill strong. The last BEAMS motor I saw on ebay was going for over $4,000. You would not spend much more than that for a nice torquey V6, installed, that makes more horsepower and more powerband.

If you are still wanting to stay NA and fourbanger, I would suggest you do some serious research on enging tuning, and you could decide for yourself from there. I'd recommend buying "Performance Four-Stroke Tuning" by Alexander Graham Bell. However "the fastest/powerful all motor MR2" with a fourbanger is not going to hold a light to common V6 or turbo cars.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked into the beams, just like most NA owners have. A bit to expensive for this guy (buy it now for 4800). And the thing that's staring me in the face with the V6 swap is the Down time that is associated with this swap. And don't think I haven't read almost every sticky in the V6 forum, I had my project priced out and had engines on my watch list on Ebay.
But, the 2 is my daily driver, and I figure with a 3rd gen 3sge I can at least get over the 200 whp mark and still be able to maintain a semi reliable state, and the swap shouldn't take more than a weekend of working.
Maybe I was abit brash to say the fastest/powerful all motor MR2. I guess I should change that to just "A fast/powerful all motor MR2". I'm not out to street race, gotten in trouble for that with the volvo and it's extremely strict up in the Puget sound area. Just out for a real fun Daily driver and a decent auto X car (don't bother with the turbo is as good/better for these purposes, I don't need a Turbo > NA thread).

·
Registered
500 Posts
Even with a 3sge swap you are looking at down time... In either case you would need to buy everything and have it all sorted out and ready to go to minimize downtime. This is, of course, assuming that you have a 5sfe and didnt get lucky with the 3sge.

If i were in your position and wanted a fast all motor car it would have to be the V6. the parts are plentiful, the engines can be found cheap, and the best thing is that you start out ahead. before touching anything you are already looking at 200/200 in a 2500 lb car....

BC

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
Another option is a 3sge head on your 5sfe. That way, you don't have driveline issues (shifters, clutch, axels, etc.), which would be half the problem in an engine swap. Just an idea as long as you're exploring alternatives.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
Mobius1 said:
I've investigated the V6 swap option, and decided that that is not the route I wanted to travel, I'm not going to start spouting stupid reasons like weight or price, I just don't want to deal with it.
what exactly dont you want to deal with? making 200hp from an mr2 motor is going to be soooooooo much more hassle than installing a stock 200hp+ v6 motor..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wiring is the scary part for me. I'm a mechanic and naturally afraid of zapping myself. I could probably recruit help from electritian friends. but it's still a little daunting. I figure that the 3sge will have a similar wiring harness...or am I totally wrong?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts