MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, so I don't know what to do. I took my car to this shop to have an engine swap. Well, this was on November 1st that I dropped it off. I waited for the engine to come in which arrived a week later. Now, somehow, the shop managed to take a month to put the engine in, once they got it in they came to the conclusion that the engine was seized. Great, now I had to wait for another replacement engine to come in. Ok, so the engine finally came in late December. Well, the place that sold the engine to me messed up and sent a turbo engine the second time around. Well, no biggie. I'm not gonna argue with a turbo engine for 1200 bucks. So I bought the wiring harness, the ecu and afm to get it running. I take these parts to the shop where the car and engine are at, and low and behold, the shop has been seized for non-payment. Now, what the hell?! My car is locked up with my engine in the shop. No way to get it out. The landlord of the building is not being very considerate and letting the owner of the shop open up the building just to get my car out. I have already dropped the money for the engine and $700 towards labor. I need my car ASAP as it has been down since mid September, and in the shop since November. I have no idea what to do other than to take the car to another shop, but I'm still screwed with the fact that my car is locked up in a shop?

Please, give me a suggestion, and a realistic suggestion at that. Any lawyers/attorneys in the house?

·
Premium Member
11,937 Posts
talk to the landlord yourself. Get his/her contact info and talk to him/her yourself (not going through the shop owner). Explain your side of the story and see if they'll help. If that doesn't work then talk to a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
still got keys to the car?
break in, take car, problem solved
:D

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Before you go to the expense of hiring a Lawyer contact your local District Attorney. You hold the Title to the vehicle, I don't believe the landlord can hold personal property that's not tied to the shop.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Aw man, that's no good. You bought that afm and ecu from me!

Yeah, your title tells all. Hook up with the DA and see if you can claim what's yours. I've never been in this position, but surely there's some form of law or understanding that if a shop is seized, customer property would be returned. Hopefully the landlord is only pissed about not getting his money and he's trying to pry on you to get his end.

Sorry to hear that!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Rotten situation indeed, but should be easily resolved with the right pressure applied. You definitely have the advantage.

You should also be able to file small claims for the labor that was not done, not to say you'll get anything but it's worth a try.

Good Luck

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea that definitly sounds like a good idea...I'll get the contact info for the landlord and explain. I'll contact the DA also because I couldn't imagine that its legal to hold my property like that...I could see if I had not made any payment to the shop for the labor and the car was being held because of my non-payment....but with the situation I'm this definitly doesn't seem right. Thanks for the info guys. And driftin_aw, good advice but I'm not trying to get arrested lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts