MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yeah. The MR2 fits me like a fine leather glove, admirably so.

Unfortunately this means there's almost no room for a helmet for trackwork unless I recline the seat all the way and slouch, slouch, slouch.

Has anyone cut the foam out of their stock seat?

Can you supply directions/hints?

I'd rather not replace the seats... That said, a matched pair of black Sparco Sprints on very low rails (or just bolted straight to the floorpan) could look nice. ;)

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
you can cut them and have them re-covered but replacing them may be a better choice for the money...

·
Registered
487 Posts
diablo replica guys put their seats down on the floor to fit in, no space under seats, you might wanna try the same.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
What about this idea, make the bottom center cushion removable (where your butt goes, minus the side bolsters) You can have a little 1" pad for your comfort but have the main part removable. Leave it in for daily use and take it out for the track.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I experimented a bit more last night, now that I've got a helmet of my own.. found that there's an "adequate" seating position to be found if I bump the seat forward a notch from the back stops, and then recline the seat hard against the firewall (steeper than it can usually recline).

It's a bit weird sitting with the seat so reclined, but arm reach is still good, pedal operation (including heel/toe) is still good.. so maybe I'll try that for now...

·
Registered
552 Posts
This is a common problem on Miatas, which aren't as forgiving on headroom as an MR2, particularly if you're trying to get your head below an aftermarket roll bar for track events. There's an excellent article on Miata.net about removing foam from a Miata's seats to increase headroom. I did this on my 90 Miata and it worked well. As a nice side effect, by sitting deeper in the seat I got more side bolstering than on a stock seat.

The actual procedure will be different for an MR2, of course - we have much better seats than the Miata's :thumbup - but there are some good ideas we can probably apply, like using an electric carving knife to trim foam from the desired locations and using zip-ties rather than metal loops to put the outer cover back on afterward.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Oh crap, I never thought of this.... It won't be a problem on warm sunny days 'cause I have T-tops but otherwise I have no idea how I'll fit with a helmet on.... Good point!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts