MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
I know on older toyotas, the seatbets had a feature to tell you if the seat belt was good anymore. It was a piece of string sewn into the female end of the belt about 2-3 inches below the bucke (the thing you clip into) that held back about 2-3 inces of extra belt. If you were in a large enough accident, the string would tear and the belt would pull out those 2-3 inches out and there would be a red tag that said the belt needed to be replaced. This is the way the owners manual in my 85 4runner desricbes it, not sure it applies to your situation or not....

I personally would replace a belt if it were bad enough to strech the belt (most major accidents do this, and the strech is a saftey feature of the belt, and is irreversible). But another question arises, if the accident was that bad, shouldn't you be looking for a new car insted of a new seat belt?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The accidnet was not really bad, it should have totaled the car and the airbad deployed, but everything is repairable (almost done to) I know that aftermarket belts expire and are tossed after any accident, I was wondering if OEM belts were the same

1 - 4 of 4 Posts