MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase an MR two I like the 2002 to 2005 I heard the best years that don’t have a catalytic converter problem 2002 to 2005 is that correct

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The problem is not the catalytic converter per se, it is ineffective piston design leading to excessive oil consumption and blow by leading to degradation of the upstream cats and reversion of the matrix into the cylinder causing engine damage. Revised pistons were rolled out in 2003 (US) 2005 (Europe) mitigating the issue. If you can get a good deal on it, buy it, put 2003 MY pistons in it, and it will be as good as a later model year.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,450 Posts
Isn't that a lot of work for a problem that may or may not occur? If the cats still look fine on a 25k '01 isn't the best thing to do to replace the pre-cats with a header and then monitor for oil consumption?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't that a lot of work for a problem that may or may not occur? If the cats still look fine on a 25k '01 isn't the best thing to do to replace the pre-cats with a header and then monitor for oil consumption?
Thanks Jim for your input.I’ve had classic cars before but I’m new to the Toyota MR 2 .I just sold my BMW Z4 so I have cash in hand for a nice MR 2.Looking for some thing in show quality and low miles

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,450 Posts
There are plenty of low mileage Spyders around still, since they are so impractical as a daily driver, being that they have no trunk (just some storage bins behind the seats). Consider that before you buy one. The final two years (04 -05) are the rarest and most desirable as they come with more chassis bracing from the factory, and have LSD as an option.

If you like red, this is actually a very good deal on an 05 Spyder:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really really appreciate your help.
There are plenty of low mileage Spyders around still, since they are so impractical as a daily driver, being that they have no trunk (just some storage bins behind the seats). Consider that before you buy one. The final two years (04 -05) are the rarest and most desirable as they come with more chassis bracing from the factory, and have LSD as an option.

I really really appreciate your help. I’m a serious buyer with cash in hand as I just sold Monday my 2004 BMW Z4 on eBay. It was white with 29,000 miles.Looking for something with very low miles. There is a 2004 MR2 on eBay silver . About a half an hour from where I live if you get a chance what do you think of that car. Miles still a little high for me.Really looking for something to show quality to put unlimited miles on. There was a red 2005 12,000 miles on BAT that I just missed out on the other day that was more my style.Thanks again you’re a big help

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,450 Posts
Silver one on ebay looks OK. I'm always wary of dealers and ebay both, so buyer beware.
Here's a red 2003 with only 22k miles on Spyderchat:

To get just what you want, you should be willing to buy a plane ticket. I've done it many times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Silver one on ebay looks OK. I'm always wary of dealers and ebay both, so buyer beware.
Here's a red 2003 with only 22k miles on Spyderchat:

To get just what you want, you should be willing to buy a plane ticket. I've done it many times.
That’s what Iam looking for.Just like to see car in person and hand over the cash. I don’t have time to fly to Houston .And if I pay this so called Guru for his opinion.It’s sending money when I don’t know who’s getting it on the other end. That’s why I like Ebay I’ve sold a couple cars and never had any problem and you’re insured.As far as what you stated about dealers I agree with you 100%

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s what Iam looking for.Just like to see car in person and hand over the cash. I don’t have time to fly to Houston .And if I pay this so called Guru for his opinion.It’s sending money when I don’t know who’s getting it on the other end. That’s why I like Ebay I’ve sold a couple cars and never had any problem and you’re insured.As far as what you stated about dealers I agree with you 100%
But again that’s exactly what I’m looking for and I really appreciate your help waiting for something to pop up little closer to New York

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,450 Posts
This one advertised on Spyderchat...

...was purchased by dealer "The_Dude_Abides" and resold on BaT just recently, for $20k.
Presuming this is the one you noticed earlier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This one advertised on Spyderchat...

...was purchased by dealer "The_Dude_Abides" and resold on BaT just recently, for $20k.
Presuming this is the one you noticed earlier.
yep yep. Thanks you’re the best .They should put dates . I noticed on a lot of ads there’s no dates but thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts