MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1988 Toyota MR2 with a jdm highcomp motor i have an ACT stage 2 clutch disc with the stock pressure plate flywheel and bearings. Just recently i have started to scratch 2nd gear even when driving normaly does this mean i need a new pressuere plate or anything else because i've been told that htis can be the end to my syncros. HELP PLEASE

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
2nd is your most abused gear, it's pretty natural for that to happen over the years... Your synchro or shift hub may just be wearing out and not engaging the gear in smoothly

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does this mean everything is okay and that i don't have to buy anything because if i do i need to know so that i don't spend the money on something stupid

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
scratching as in chirping the tires? if thats the case then your fine, if your talking about scratching synchros....we'll then your synchros are shot, but many people like to use a bandaid that goes by the name "redline or synchromesh" put some of that in your gearbox, it should help out a lot

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Yea, sounds like you smoked the synchros in second gear. Run the redline or synchromesh until you can't put up w/ it anymore. After that, it's time for a rebuild on the tranny.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to pep-boys and they said that they never heard of this redline or syncromesh. Does anyone know where I can get this from or a website that sells it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts